I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who has been here since day one of Early Access, and those of you just finding your way here via the recent sale. It has been a fun journey to take with all of you, and before too long it will be coming to an end. An official launch is just months away, and we owe a lot to you, the community, for sharing all the love, bugs, issues, suggestions, wishlists, thoughts, stories and everything else.
As Jae Lee and any indie dev can tell you, it is hard to open up your baby to the criticizing eyes and hands of the public.
Kings of Kung Fu: Masters of the Art, was, is and will be Jae's passion project to bring his love of classic kung fu movies and old school fighting games into one fun playable form. As Jae said from the beginning:
"Kings of Kung Fu is mainly a love letter to kung fu cinema firstly and a casual to mid core fighter secondly. The game is a small, indie passion project aimed to provide fun while honoring the films I have always loved. Feedback from the community will help make this a better game.
I don't want to give the false impression that it will become a fighter for the hardcore fighting game community. I appreciate the support and feedback and will continue to update the game with your feedback in mind."
Since the game hit Early Access we've seen a number of improvements come along.
- edited block proximity for all attacks
- now possible to back dash out of blocks (double tap back)
- fixed incorrect input commands on character move lists
- added very easy difficulty
- added 4 characters
- added 2 stages
- added new music
- Added support for more resolutions
- Fixed the sensitive directional control issue
- Edited control responsiveness moves less delayed
- Slowed the game speed down a bit
- Rebalanced a few moves
- Added a crane kick for Lo Wei (Down + LK)
- Added 1 inch punch for Tao lung (Down + Fwd + LP)
- Readjusted the collision boxes for attacks
- Fixed the exploits for Tao Lung, Chen fu and Lo Wei
- Corrected the command display for John Deux's nut cracker punch
- Added loading bar to PC build
- Tweaked a few character animations
- Optimized the stages and characters for the pc build
- Fixed the mirror match issue
- Fixed the achievement low health issue
- Made is easier to perform chain and link combos
- Note - dashes are invincible
- Added the 4 character slots for the up coming characters
Note: for the PC users the controls may become mixed up after the update if so it is recommended to reset to the default controls in the options menu. You can then reassign the buttons to your liking.
For PC users after the patch update loading may be a bit longer during the initial launch.
- Infinite combos with Tao Lung, Ju Mao and Ron Jones have been removed.
- Chang Tai can now throw the boss character without crashing the game.
- The Japanese war flag has been removed from the Dojo stage due to cultural sensitivity
- Analog control support has been added - new controller configuration options in the options menu
- The announcer can be turned off during game play.
- The option to disable/enable the full screen effects has been added to the options menu.
- Fixed the frame rate for the Shaolin and Bamboo stages
- Black screen issue where only the HUD images were being displayed can be fixed by disabling the old movie effect in the options menu.
More to Come!
From here there are still some things coming down the pipeline as we get ready for launch and beyond.
- Revamping the menus and loading screens
- Unique Ending screens for each fighter
- Continual tweaks and balances to fix existing issues
- Trading Cards
- Additional Characters
- New music tracks
- Kings of Kung Fu OST
Again, thank you all for the praise and the tough love!
Keep the conversations going in the forums. Keep sharing your videos, guides, screens and thoughts with us all. Be sure to follow Jae Lee on Twitter @KingsOfKungFu as well as Digital Tribe Games @dtribegames and 'Like Us' on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/DigitalTribeGames