Space Engineers is a sandbox game about engineering, construction and maintenance of space works. Players build space ships and space stations of various sizes and utilization (civil and military), pilot ships and perform asteroid mining.
Space Engineers utilizes a realistic volumetric-based physics engine: all objects can be assembled, disassembled, damaged and destroyed.
Volumetric objects are structures composed from block-like modules interlocked in a grid. Volumetric objects behave like real physical objects with mass, inertia and velocity. Individual modules have real volume and storage capacity.
Space Engineers is inspired by reality and by how things work. Think about modern-day NASA technology extrapolated 60 years into the future. Space Engineers strives to follow the laws of physics and doesn't use technologies that wouldn't be feasible in the near future.
Space Engineers concentrates on construction aspects, but can be played as a tactical shooter as well. We expect players to avoid engaging in direct man-to-man combat and instead use their creativity and engineering skills to build war machines and fortifications. Space Engineers shouldn’t be about troops; it should be about the machinery you build.
Features in Alpha
- Building in creative mode – unlimited resources and instant construction
- Deformable and destructible objects - real proportions, mass, storage capacity, integrity
- Small and large ships – build them, pilot them and crush them
- Space stations
- Building blocks - light armor (cube, slope, corner), interior wall, small ship cockpit, large ship cockpit, gatling turret, missile turret, cargo container(s), gravity generator, nuclear reactor, thruster, gyroscope, refinery, assembler, drill, reflector light, interior light, catwalk, cover wall, door, stairs, ramp, ladder, small ship gatling, small ship missile launcher, landing gear, window(s), explosive cube, pillar, medical room
- First-person & Third-person
- Character animations - run, sprint, jump, climb ladder, crouch, fall, jetpack
- World management
- Create new world
- Save as - branch to multiple copies
- Auto-save – saves the state of your world every 5 minutes and on exit; can be turned on/off
- Edit Settings
- Empty World
- Easy Start - recommended for newcomers – a world is generated with randomly selected green station or basic platform and a few template small and large ships
- Electricity - all blocks in a grid are wired in an electrical and computer network
- Gravity – produced by gravity generators
- Modding - world files, shaders, textures, 3D models
- Localized interface (WIP) - Czech, Danish, Dutch, German, Icelandic, Polish, Spanish-Spain, Spanish-Latin America, Finnish, French, Hungarian, Italian, Portuguese-Brazil, Estonian, Norwegian
- Steam Workshop - Share your creations with the Community (upload and download worlds)
- Magnetic landing gears
- Inventory and object manipulation (enabled but still WIP)
- Symmetry/Mirroring Mode – players can build their ships faster by using the Symmetry mode
- Drilling / harvesting
- 64-bit version
Please be sure to read the list of current features before you buy the game. It will give you an insight on what is or isn't actually working: http://www.SpaceEngineersGame.com/features.html
How to Play
Start by watching this video tutorial:
Space Engineers is in alpha stage of development and undergoing frequent optimizations. The performance will get better.
The performance depends on the complexity of your world and the configuration of your computer. Simple worlds run smoothly even on low-end computers, but a more complex world with rich object interactions could overload even high-end computers.
Please read our performance advices: http://www.SpaceEngineersGame.com/performance-advices.html
Minimum requirements represent the bare minimum to run simple scenes and don’t guarantee a perfect experience.