(TL;DR at bottom)
So, I'm beginning this review to help potential buyers decide whether they want this game. This review will track my progress as I log more and more hours into the game as it stands (as per this edit) I'm at 23 hours
, that's just under one full day of gaming. At the end of this review, I'll try to break down pro's and con's of the game and look a little more in-depth at what the game has to offer.Level 1
Starting the game, you'll notice the lack of single-player options - and right you are. This game is based around purely multiplayer midieval combat. So lets start our first game. Picking a server is easy at a lower level, those highlighted in green are low-rank
servers, that means players level 0 to 15. These servers generally have a high population, and cycle through the game modes.
When you (or I, in this case) pick a server, you'll be able to see the current gamemode as well as current/limit players. I started with a low-pop Team Deathmatch game with 16 total players. When I hopped into the game, it was about halfway through, and as the teams were even, I got to pick a side (Agatha Knights or Mason Order). Now, these teams don't really matter all that much later on, no one will shun you for picking one over the other, but in my case I chose the Mason Order (Favorite color is Red). From there, there are four different classes.Classes
- Archer - Light, ranged troops. Beginner weapons are Longbow, Dagger, Crossbow, and Javelin (with optional sheild)
- Man at Arms - Light, fast troops with low armor. Beginner weapons are Sword, Axe, Mace, and Quarter Staff. (Can also dodge)
- Vanguard - Heavy armored troops with increadable damage and reach, beginner weapons are Greatsword, Poleaxe, Spear, and Hammer. (Can perform a charge attack)
- Knight - Tank character with increadable armor, but slow moving. Beginner weapons are ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ sword, Greataxe, Hammer, and Flail.
So I hopped in as an archer, and immediately regretted my decision. Team deathmatch is almost squadbased, with groups of 3 or 4 charging at once, and everyone seems to have a general hatred towards archers. So, I died. A lot. Eventually I switched to a Man at Arms with the beginner shortsword. The speed was amazing, and I managed my first kill before dying. The game appeared ruthless to me, with wave after wave of enemies ready to stab me in the back - or throw something into my lower-♥♥♥♥ area. But it was fun, decapitating the few I could. By the end game, I had 5 kills and 13 deaths - but the five I killed were well worth it.Levels 1-15
Game after game, I was killed. Repetitavely. But, I got better. Learned how to be more aware of my situation. Learned the different swings, and when to block/kick. By the time I was level ten, I could hold my own - and had even won a few 1v4 fights. My friends then got the game on sale - and let me tell you, when your friends are playing, the fun increases exponentially. Between level ten and fifteen I had my best games, including my very best being 43 kills and 3 deaths (Holy ♥♥♥♥). And the best part, I was progressing. I unlocked equipment, weapons. I learned when to use specific classes. I memorized the maps and knew my strategy. I went from absolutely terrible to a force to be reckoned with.Levels 15 and on
I just reached level 16. But it's far from over. I have many more weapons I want to unlock, and many more kills I wish to obtain. I do like this game, a lot. Even the deadliest warrior portion - though it is significantly more buggy.
Pros and ConsCons
- Price - At $21.99 CAD, the price is a little steep. I'm glad my buddies got it on sale for $8.00
- Hit boxes - They are getting better, but they're not great. Sometimes you get clipped for seemingly no reason at all.
- Game stuttering - even surpassing the recommended requirements by a mile, I still get stuttering.
- Hours of Fun - The game is awesome. A great community and many different playstyles
- Visuals - It's very pretty to look at, and ALMOST feels like real battle
- Gamemodes - Versitile game modes, including TDM, FFA, Team objective, and Duel
Visuals - 8/10
Combat - 6/10
Control Response - 8/10
Community - 8/10
Gameplay - 9/10