HUZZAH, THE CHORUS GUYS RULE!Short Verdict
: Must-have for point-and-click fans. Nice humor, interesting story, great puzzles, unique characters, hours of fun!Overview
: Deponia is the first game in the adventure, point-and-click trilogy made by Daedelic. You control Rufus, a self-centered jerk who, more than anything, hates Deponia - some kind of a junkyard planet - and wishes to go to Elysium, following his dad's footsteps. The result is a game full of comedy, awkward moments packed with fun, and even some romance.Pros
- The interface is really great and easy to navigate
- The story is interesting, packed with good quality humor, and you'll probably have lots of fun in the way
- Good length for an adventure game
- The puzzles are really nice and sober--the game provides you not-too-obvious hints when you interact with the world and they've really hit the perfect mark in this aspect. Also, if you need additional in-game help, you can press space to see the hotspots, which is always good as an option. You probably won't need a guide, if you can deal with just the right amount of frustration that pushes you forward.
- Characters are really cool and fun. The main character is embarrassingly annoying, but that allows for some "role play", you can say, when you try to think like he would as you try to solve the puzzles.
- Great voice acting
- The 2D graphics are really amazing
- The BGM is really awesome--specially the Huzzah songs
- The cliffhanger for the next game is just perfect--it closes a chapter really well, but you'll want to know what happens next
- The game crashed a few times for me (probably 2 or 3), mostly after videos. But it was so rare, it didn't annoy me much, especially because the autosave prevented me from losing progress.
- Some people report that a few of the achievements didn't unlock for them, but I didn't have any problem with them (maybe it was fixed after a recent update, idk), except for the Droggeljug one (I did use the shortcut, though, and it eventually unlocked)
- Speaking of which, Droggeljug is probably one of the worst ideas I've seen in a game. All sentences, characters' names, item's names and literally every text in the game is replaced with "Droggeljug", from start to finish. But it's just a bonus mode you unlock after beating the game, so not a big deal. Still, it's so stupid I had to mention it.
: Scorched Bundle by Bundle Stars for an average of US$ 0.27. This amount is ridiculously low for such an awesome game. The full Steam price is not exactly a steal, but I think it's fair. If you don't have any of the games in the trilogy and think this game is for you, it might be a better idea to buy The Complete Journey
(the full trilogy) instead.Verdict
: If you're a fan of adventures and point-and-clicks, you most definitely have to check Deponia! It's precious. I'm not easy to please when it comes to humor and comedy, but Deponia just manages to do it better than all other games I've played (well, maybe except for Sam & Max, imnsho). Also, like I've said, the puzzles are really smart, the story is interesting, characters are unique, and basically everything you need in an adventure game is there. Don't miss it!