Verfasst: 2. Mai
TL:DR- This game is not ShadowRun. It is a game Cliffhanger Production made and then just added a ShadowRun skin to everything. There is no Matrix, no classes, no way to upgrade anything other than just buy the "next" level of what ever item you have in a linear progression of items. The community is friendly and it can be a fun game to play with others, but if you are looking for a ShadoRun experience, then this is not the game for you.
I wanted to put more time into the game before I wrote more about the game. Here is what I have experienced so far.
1. Lag. Expect 20-30 seconds of lag between issuing your commands and execution of command to be the normal experience right now.
2. A lack of information in the game. There is a lot of stuff in the game that is never explained to you in game, and a lack of documentation makes some things very frustrating. The community has been good in answering questions I have had about how things work, but it is a fail of game design that forces me to keep asking questions in the Global Chat just to learn about the game.
3. Conflicting information in the game. I have found descriptions of some things to be just wrong. Example, Reflex Recorder cyberware description says it is a special made cyberware that cost no essence to install, but below that in the stats it is clearly marked as costing 2 essence points.
4. PVP focus of the game has Cliffhanger making poor design choices. This game is focused on PVP, which is not even in the game yet, and because of that they have made a number of poor design choices too keep parity in the classes, rather than focus on a good co-op game. An example of this is Rigger and Decker have just been turned into magic users with the Rigger being a Shaman that "summons" drones instead of spirits, and the Decker is now a mage that cast "tech" spells to attack the enemy (yes, you read that correctly, Decker magic). The Rigger will also compete with any Shaman on your team for a summon spot, as your team is only allowed to summon 2 things.
5. Voice acting sometimes. There is some voice acting in the game, but it is also inconsistent as to when it will be there. I don't know if this is a bug, or if it just isn't full been added to the game yet, or if Cliffhanger started to add it and then decided to abandon the idea and left it unfinished.
Edit: It looks like Cliffhanger is working on the problems of server lag, and I will update the review when and if it is ever fixed.
Finally, some real game innovation as Shadowrun Chronicles takes a truly unique approach the the turn-based strategy game.
With the introduction of new Lag-based™ gameplay that gives people time to multi-task other activities as they try to find time in their busy schedules to play games.
Do you have a book that you just never got around to reading? Well, Cliffhanger Productions has the solution for you with Lag-based™ gameplay! Thats right, just issue your command to "walk accross room" or "examine item" and then take your time to leisurely read a page or two as Shadowrun Chronicles waits to complete your commmand.
But wait, theres more! If you buy right now, you will also get to experience the thrill of the new Never-Sure™ technology. Thats right, as the tension builds as the seconds tick away, you will experience the glory of Never-Sure™ as you think to yourself "maybe this isn't lag, maybe I just didn't click the mouse". Yes, Never-Sure™ technology will have you questioning your sanity at the 20 second mark, and have you convinced at the 30 second mark that this time you really did forget to click the mouse button; but then as if by magic your charicter finaly opens the door and you breath a sigh of relief. Never-Sure™ technology will ensure each move you make will send you on a rollercoaster ride of emotion; hope, fear, anger, sadness, will all be yours with each command you issue.
I would like to issue a heartfelt ♥♥♥♥ You to Cliffhanger Productions for this game, but I can't really blame them. I had played Jagged Alliance Online, so I knew what this company was capable of, but like an alzheimer patient I forgot the pain of JAO and bought it anyway.