This is a piece of crap that brings shame to Jagged Alliance series. If you're a fan of any type of tactical turn-based games - avoid it!
Yeah, i'm a long time fan of Jagged Alliance games like many others around the world. I don't regret that i was a backer during KS campaign, it was my choice and i was fully conscious about what i was doing. I only regret the final result of this project.
I really don't want to write a book about gameplay, so i will focus on advantages and disadavtages of this game. Here we go:
- Graphics, you can love it or hate it, but i think that graphical style that was taken was a good choice.
- Fighting, well, sometimes fight is annoying, but sometimes it can be fun.
- Music, not bad.
- The game is clearly described, you can easily sense what is it all about
- Graphics, style is ok, but there are too little details and 3D characters have jest few polygons.
- Sound, i don't mind soundtrack, but sometimes sounds in the inventory are too loud and overdriven.
- Just one save slot!
- Very small quantity of stuff thrown around, so there is no sense in wandering on a map, there are only few containers in which you can find some loot.
- Can't open/close the doors!
- There are no second floors, and you can't go on the roofs!
- There is no possibility to modify weapons!
- Bugged and totally unrealistic weapons. There is no such thing like UZI in .45 caliber, there is no such thing like Thompson with 7, 10, or 15-round clip. Sometimes I had action points, proper ammo and just can't reload the weapon.
- Can't see bloody thing during the rain/storm.
- Pathfinding is totally broken. You can click on a single and simple part of the ground and some of your merc will choose the most complicated and longest possible way to get there (and some of them will probably stay just where they are).
- User interface is not well designed, you can easily click on a random place and accidentally move your merc.
- AI, there are no sophisticated tactics that enemies can use, They just get closer and closer, one by one. Forget about flanking and such things.
- Useless militia, you train them, they lose and so on... There is no possibility to enter combat when your militia squad is fighting.
- Strange mechanics, aim shot is useless and sometimes you can embark into weird "never-ending" shootout. It looks like this: the distance between your merc and the enemy is about two squares, you have rather high hit probability and you just can't shot him no matter what. Another thing: 103, 105% hit probability? What is it? Are devs kidding us?
- No noticeable mercs relationships, They're just callous puppets.
- You can use cow as a cover, the cow is...armoured...
- There is no, absolutely no optimalization!
- What the hell "interrupt" button is doing in UI? Interrupt action should act automatically when given character have enough action points!
- Illegible table of guns characteristic.
- There is a shop of course (in text, not graphical form!). You can buy, but you can't sell your own stuff!
- Camera angles are uncomfortable
...Jesus, i have enough, there are probably quite a few things that i could mention, but this list annoyed me enough. As You see, this game has been practically deprived of the most needed functions. I don't really see sense in existing of JA-ish game which is so neutered. Just look at Silent Storm and even 7.62, or Back in Action. These games have some flaws, but this is nothing comparing to Flashback. This game is so bad that i don't see any potential in it and any chance to upgrage the main problems of it.
People from Full Control said something like this: "KS campaign succeeded with minimum amount of money needed to create Flashback project, and that's why fans and backers will receive minimum amount of content". Pure and simple, 368k $ was practically the lowest amount of money necessary to achieve lowest stretch goals and start developing of this game. This is the point where Full Control made a huge mistake, they should never start developing this game with such a low budget. Some would say: "but minimum budget could not be lower due to low interest in community. If the amount was higher , this game would never have been created!". Exactly! Jagged Alliance: Flashback should not exist! This is so weak and embarrassing piece of crap that only brings shame to Jagged Alliance brand.
Maybe if FC had more manpower, capabilities, experience, consistent vision and skills to make things right, then they might have a chance to make a really decent game... But they hadn't and they were overwhelmed by the task which they have chosen, They had to feed their families and stay aflout, we received a game that is poor in almost every aspect. Was it worth it? I don't think so...
I believe that time will come and we will finally receive worthy successor of JA: 2. It doesn't matter how long i will wait, real mercs never die!;-)