This is a review for version 0.2.1
First the negatives:
- Unfinished product with a lot more work to be done by the devs. Remember that this is the first version of the beta.
- There are a couple of bugs (one of them gamebreaking, but possible to fix by editing the save files) in the game, and as this is a beta, there are probably gonna be a couple more in the future.
- High price for an unfinished product - this is because that's what the kickstarter backers (at least) paid for the game + beta
- This game is a kickstarter project and as such has a very small budget, so the devs might not be able to put everything in the game they and we want.
The things I am missing most:
- No healing yet
- Only one autosave that saves after each sector
- The mercs don't have a lot of personality yet
- Overall a lot of tactical and strategic options still missing
So if you can't deal with not having those things - don't buy the game yet, wait for a couple of months for the devs to include those features.
If however you are willing to support the devs and pay the price, you are going to get the following:
- Finally a new turn-based JA game (with real-time to explore).
- Every buyer gives Full Control a bit more to work with, so the more people buy now, the better the game will be in the end.
- Devs that are obviously determined to make the best JA game they can and that have already proven to listen to the fans
- A game that (to me) already feels more like a JA game than BIA ever did.
- A game that is going to be highly moddable. The devs promised to make it as moddable as possible and so far they have delivered. They even got some of the JA2-modders on board.
- One of the (if not THE) best modding community ever. Seeing what they have done with JA2, I can only imagine how great JAF mods are going to be.
I recorded some of my gameplay:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfQ_raecCiw