RIFT is the perfect World of Warcraft clone. It has everything WoW has:
Same interface, mechanics, professions, auction house, instances, raids, BGs, item naming, controls, addons on Curse, talents, etc,
It has also the additions that WoW always needed:
- Random Zone Events (constant, running all the time)
- Rifts (which appear randomly and massively accros the map)
- 1 and 2 players dungeons (Chronicles)
- Built-in mechanics that in WoW you need addons (sell grey items, quest guides, etc)
- Instant Adventures, which randomly matches you with a bunch of players and then you keep doing infinitely chosen grinding quests in a zone, giving massive EXP and rewards (the best way to level).
But mostly important it has AN AWESOME CHARACTER CLASS AND ROLE CUSTOMIZATION. It's something like "make your own class and roles":
- Caster DPS-Tank-Healer
- Pure caster DPS
- Caster and Melee DPS
- Caster with Pet DPS and Healer (or just DPS)
- Melee Tank with Healing habilities
And a LOT MOOOOOOORE.
Regarding the Free to Play aspect of it: you can completely play the game without ever spending a penny, but a few restrictions:
- You can't sell on the Auction House
- Limited bags (very annoying)
- You will have to grind a lot in order to buy mounts
But I was so hooked the first day that I bought the Classic Collector's Pack, unlocking a lot of extras, plus giving 1 month of Patron, which means 40% additional exp = faster leveling. Also, I WANTED to pay, because I was willing to help Trion. This game DESERVES money. It's polished, addicting and well crafted.
If you want to play WoW but aren't willing for a comeback, RIFT is your game!