Tried the game myself and I have to say that it is quite addicting or addictive. It has it's ups and downs but course I will say what are cons and pros for this MMO game for YOU to decide if you want to play it or not.
+ Very huge open world to explore
+ Nature environment is so beautiful and it feels so alive
+ Tons of rewardable quests to make you very busy if you're bored
+ Detailed tutorials
+ Editable and customazible soul tree to make your character explore and test lots of abilities
+ Build a house with friends or global players (WoW hasn't done that yet)
+ Minnion quests fits nicely
+ Great mounts and pets (course premium means real cash)
+ Rifts to close all over the world with great rewards
+ Kill a monster in new area you get automatic quest (it gets confusing if you're overloaded with 5 or more quests)
+ Swimming is great with limited breath bar to make underwater quests challenging
+ Mentoring your character is great and useful if your friends are lower level
+ Self buffs that lasts for an hour or more and you can re-buff at any time you like
+ Some story quests have a great voice acting and it's worth it to listen if you understand the story
+ If I would choose between WoW and/or RIFT, I would pick up RIFT
+ Tons of achievements in game (but I prefer STEAM achievement)
+ Free To Play
+ Large player base
+ Extensive class customization (some classes and creations are limited see cons below)
+ Rifts create dynamic gameplay
+ I recommend it for people who don't have annoying wife's ;)
+ Addicting from every corner or look of the game no matter where you are
+ Fishing is so much fun :)
+ Crafting & Minning is also in the game but I haven't got the chance to try it
+ Rewardable events
+ Friendly player base (well if you are nice and polite)
+ Auto adventure is great (if you're level 10 you can do level 20+ or higher quests with others that level)
+ Bonus rifts are unlimited with great rewards if you can beat shown minutes or seconds with tons of players
+ Great sound and music
+ Server time is confusing to me and/or others so it's good that you click on that clock to keep an eye on your RL clock.
+ Weekly updates (thursdays)
I didn't forget about the cons as well and these I HOPE will be gone away in the future (with big hopes)
- Some class balance issues
- Limited races for character creation (you need DLC to unlock limited races for character creation and other premium things)
- RIFT: Ultimate Nightmare Edition costs 2 much (139,99€) unless you live a very rich life then go ahead and buy it
- Leveling from level 10 or 15 to 65+ gets quite hard as EXP rating slows down unless you want to do repeatable quests and events
- Annoying guild requests
- There is no actual story because you have quests are all around the huge map
- Aggressive mobs are annoying even if you try to avoid them
- No falling damage
- Too many aggresive mobs makes it harder to focus on your quests (specialy if there is a whole pack when you're on a quest grind)
- No autowalk (although map does show where you need to go) P.S. i don't look for key bidnings i take my time explore yellow area untill i find it
- Some players are stealing kills
- No steam achievements (game has it's own but tons of it)
- 4 downloadable contents costs way to much (324,96€). Why would I or someone else pay that much if I or somebody else can get all that for 139.99€. And even that costs way to much.
RIFT DLC editions costs too much specialy if you're planning to spend over 325€. Spend 68€ for Guild Wars 2 Digital Deluxe Edtion with game guide on how to level up ANY of race class + you get great useful premium items.
I do recommend this game but be warned that play for free has it's limited restrictions unless you want to buy NIGHTMARE EDITION. I am happy enough that is play for free but at least they could do is lower the prices for nightmare edition if it's worthy of getting it.
Some of you may think that some the cons are funny and/or stupid. But that's how I see it.
Everyone has it's own taste but I love the game myself so I try and ignore the cons and maybe 1 day i'll buy nightmare edition.
I recommend it but many of you won't like it. If you don't, well there's always uninstall button.