Beware as you are just looking at the best 4X game that is.
Don't look at my played time here, this game was available for years already from a very unheard of distributor BUT now is available on Steam at last for the people to see it already.
Maybe you are wondering why it costs so much. Well it has 4 expansions build in it already so that's why. But believe me IT'S WORTH IT. If you like 4X games, this is just a must have.
1. The game is not turn based. Everything is done in real time. You can pause the game and speed it up or slow down at your own liking. This may be a + for someone though...
2. It's not as shiny as some other 4X games so if pretty graphics are what you prefer you may be disappointed.
3. The game can be demanding even on high end PC's if you run really large galaxy.
4. Unfriendly UI. If you run huge resolution you will have problems to read the text.
5. The learning curve... you will spend hours getting into the game. But don't be afraid, huge automation can be set up to help you.
6. No multiplayer. I don't mind it but maybe you do?
Everything else. It's the most complex, never ending fun 4X game I have played. Just the way how the AI is done hooked me up. But to make it fair here are some picks for you.
1. Huge amount of races that actually play in character. It's not like in other games where every AI plays the same way but has different stats. Here the AI behaves in the ways how they are described. They play in character like in RPG game.
2. HUGE galaxies. Trust me you never saw something like this before in other 4x games. Each game can last for dozens of hours if you want.
3. Set up your game to the last possible thing you can imagine. The start up set up is just incredible.
4. Automation ... don't like research, or ship design, or diplomacy, or anything else you can imagine? You can automate it. You can focus only on the one thing you like the most!
5. Pirates ... you can even play as one.
6. Mods ... do you want 10 more races or to play Star trek 4x? ... You can have it.
7. Micromanagement ... it can be endless.
8. The complexity, you can spend hours in design tables that make sense in comparison to Moo3 for example.
9. Battles, there is very few games that can simulate such large scale engagements over the whole galaxy.
10. Play it your own way. You can win the game without any battle if you want. On the other side waging wars is FUN.
Do you need to know more? Watch some videos on YouTube from Das24680. He has also full tutorials for those who would need them.
*Update - I have added more Pros as this game deserves it and I have forgot to mention them.