Product Update - Valve
Mar 26, 2013
• Adventure mode is now integrated into survival mode. In a survival mode level, you can find a special portal that will take you to the start of adventure mode. If you die in adventure mode, you will wake up back in your survival level, outside of the portal. From there you can try again (restarting at level 1, of course). Dying in survival mode is still perma-death-fatal, and retrying a survival level will always generate a new one for you. Any existing saves that you might have from previous patches will be interpreted as survival levels - you should be able to teleportate out of them to get access to the new features.
• New front-end screens for dealing with the save slots and the new game flow.
• The adventure levels have been re-done to better match what their final structure will be. They’re still a bit rough around the edges, but you can start to see the overall sweep of the game now. Please see the detailed descriptions at the end of the changelist.
• Healing Salve - Made from crushed spider glands and ash - heals medium wounds
• Lightning Rod - Protects bases against lightning, gives you a few nights of free light when struck.
• Heat Stone - Place it near a fire to warm it up, and then carry it around with you to fend off the bitter frost.
• Earmuffs - Made from rabbits, of course!
• The Piggyback - A fancier, bigger backpack (that slows you down!)TOU
• The Bishop - guards Maxwell’s structures with lightning shots
New Level Features
• Chess biome! In adventure levels, Maxwell's influence has begun creeping into the environment.
• Points of interest and traps - these are small, non-random areas that have good or bad effects.
• Touchstones - these mysterious stones act as one-time-use meat effigies if you touch them. There are a handful generated in each survival level.
• Maxwell’s door - leads to adventure mode.
• Pleasingly-arranged mushroom rings
• One-way wormhole (only in adventure mode currently)
• Pig-head-on-a-stick - someone’s been busy!
• Compressed the XP track. You now earn 20xp per survival mode day at a flat rate, and unlock all the XP-unlockable characters a lot more quickly
• Characters have a bit more health by default. This is to reduce the number of one-shot player deaths, and give you more of a chance to run away from danger.
• The player now has 15 inventory slots
• When you advance through the teleportato in adventure mode, you can only take four items with you. Choose wisely!
• Sanity depletion in the rain is less harsh
• The HUD is a bit smaller, to show more of the game world
• Removed low-level farm plots. We really didn’t need three versions of the same thing.
• Deerclops, lightning and beefalo mating season are configurable through level gen parameters
• Stepping on spider ground will trigger a response from the den
• Tweaked mushroom spawn chances
• Abigail has more health, but enemies will fight back against her
• Many new map icons, including backpacks and Chester!
• Crock-pot fixes: mushrooms count as vegetables, fixed frogglebunwich recipe
• You can no longer carry an extra backpack in your hands as you walk around.
• Werepigs don’t kite. They are too angry for that.
• The death screen buttons should always work now.
• RMB can be used to light things on fire when the torch is equipped (useful at night)
• Added a default start node so that maxwell and wilson not occluded
• Frozen ponds can't be fished anymore.. but you can walk across them.
• MacTusk can miss you with his blowdart
• Spiderhat / Miner hat show remaining fuel
• Treeguards can be set on fire more than once
• Lua console now supports arrow keys
• Fireflies glow more reliably at the right times
• Trap icons don't show up on the map when inside a container
• Chester is immune to ghosts
• Chester has much more health, and resurrects after only one day
• Fix spider jump attack sometimes not actually jumping
• Spider jump attack will not hurt Wilson when it misses
• Birds that are flying away shouldn't re-start their fly-away animations mid-flight
• Rabbits will try to avoid a player between them and their home
• Fix to Abigail/ghost movement stuttering
• Ghosts pathfind, but will go through walls or objects if needed
• Abigail will show up at least every 3 nights
• Abigail will spawn some distance away from Wendy
• Wandering creatures will try to avoid walls and water
• Fleeing creatures will try to avoid running into walls
• Fix apparent duplicate item when dropping item on the ground and then into your backpack before the drop happens
• Fix infinite bees spawning from beebox by repeatedly saving/loading game
• When murdering an entire stack of helpless creatures in your inventory, loot is gained for each individual, not just once
• Waking up sleeping hunting hounds at night will rouse the walruses from their slumber
• Fixed a bug where you could use a sleeping bag or tent during the transition from night to day to skip an entire day.
The adventure levels are still being worked on and refined, but here's an idea of where the are right now and where we want them to be.
Near-constant rain and frequent short winters take a toll on your sanity and your fires. You must survive in these more extreme conditions as you hunt for the teleportato pieces. When complete, this level should feel similar to a survival level, but with increased pressure on all your resources.
This level is smaller and shorter than the previous level, but it is permanently winter! The aim is to survive the cold without any preparation time. When complete, this level should keep you moving quickly.
The level features a resource-rich central island, surrounded by dangerous lands containing each of the teleportato pieces. Right now it's still fairly lush, but eventually the outlying islands should be quite inhospitable!
Use the first land to stock up. Once you pass through the dying wormhole, you'll need everything you've got to survive. We're currently still working on the balance between the two lands.
This level should put your survival skills to the ultimate test, not only will there be harsh weather and tough monsters, but resources will be extremely scarce. Eventually. Right now it's just been roughed in, but it's still got lots of badguys in it!
Maxwell is still devising this level...