This game gets a thumbs up with an if. A BIG IF. If you have the patience of Buddha then you can consider playing this game. Know that it will torment you to the point where you want to smash your pc to pieces. This game could be used as a means of punishing criminals.
This is a reboot of the first Tomb Raider, a true classic and a game I loved. Obviously the graphics is much better. The level layout and controls have also been updated.
1. This is a true Tomb Raider game where it is mostly about Lara vs the environment. It's not like Tomb Raider 2013 where there is an enemy or ten behind every corner.
2. I am glad the levels have been redesigned. It sort of works. Maybe it is just memory but they do feel dumbed down a bit though.
3. Even though this game is some 7 years old the scenery looks really great. Character models and textures are nothing like modern games though.
4. You can take selfies of Lara as she roams ancient locations.
5. The controls. The original Tomb Raider was genius with its minimalist controls. The reboot does not emulate it unfortunately. On the original you could jump forward, to one side, backwards and to the other side an infinite number of times and Lara would end up exactly where she started. Forget about it with the reboot. The introduction of the mouse changed a lot.
6. Related to the above point, in the original you could control Lara very accurately. She'd jump when you press jump; do front and back somersaults at will; jump at exactly the end of ledge or slide. No more. You get used to ledges but slides are atrocious.
7. How difficult could it have been to keep an autosave that the player can load at will? You have to manually save after each check point. No matter where you save, you reload at the last checkpoint.
8. The two major additions the game, the grapple and timed dodge and shoot are the worst though. Even after completing the game I have no confidence that I can get any of these two right at will. Lara's responses seems very random to the input you give. The shoot dodge works ok if you face only one enemy but when there are more - good luck. The grapple though is what really gets me.
9. It feels like the game developers thought how they can make the world a little worse place to live? Hehehe... lets make a really nice game with a bug witch acts up randomly at critical times. The grapple is perfect for this. When the player press jump to side we make Lara jump perpendicular and vice versa but remember only at some random critical times.
10. The make matters worse the checkpoints seems to come just after a long sequence of activities punctuated with one of these random grapples at the end. Possibly half of my game time was doing bits over and over and over again until Lara did what I instructed.
11. Lara's Mansion introduction mission. I owned this game for many years but only now played it. Each time I would start with the introduction and then stop playing because it would irritate the living daylights out of me.
I recommend this game with big reservations. After playing I think that if the developers took the original and only gave it a new coat the game would have been infinitely better.
This game is 95% good and 5% bad. A pity the 5% bad takes up 50% of your playtime. Really consider playing the original in stead.