Verfasst: 3. Dezember 2014
Gratuitous Space Battles is a Pre-planning RTS game where you get to make your own units and make them face the ultimate challenge, blowing the other fleet up. There is no story, plot, or anything like that. There are no politics, and there is absolutely no diplomacy. There is only war, gratuitous war. Btw, it's kinda like Michael Bay made a space combat game. So, let's get to the review.
- Graphics are amazing. From the debris to the freaking ship models, they all look great.
- Special effects are also amazing. Every little explosion just makes you jump in satisfaction as your enemies ships go down in an explosion so intense it damages other starships.
- Variety of the races and startships are also great. Every race and every ship in these races have strengths and weaknesses.
- There are only three classes of ship, but the variety is enormous.
- The unit building is spot on, you can customize your ship to be really fast or have weapons so powerful you can almost one-shot kill other starships.
- There is a distinct difference between armor and shields.
- You just have to watch the destruction unfold as the some-what decent AI controlling the ships make their moves.\
- There is a slight bit of humor and slightly racist jokes, but they are pointed towards aliens.
- The only strategy in this game is planning ahead of time what your units orders are, meaning that you literally have to watch the battles unfold as you are sitting in your chair waiting for something to happen.
- Only three classes of ship to choose from.
- It's from the 2d perspective. If they made it 3d, I would rate it a lot higher.
- Some classes of ship are almost impossible to customize, like the imperial Gun station.
- For some reason shields don't come back up after they are depleted.
- Some of the ships seem too slow, like the cruisers. you would think that something big in space would still be able to travel fast.
- Get's repetitive really fast, but you have to admit some of you had that thought of 'maybe one more battle'.
- The fact that a squadron of fighters takes 3 frigates to take down, no matter how many anti-fighter weapons you have on them.
- Why does armor have such low health? Isn't armor supposed to help absorb damage taken to the hull rather than be blasted away like it was nothing?
- The DLC's only add races and weapons that can only be used by the race you bought them with.
- Maps are literally the same, except for some debuffs in some of them. The only major difference is the background.
- Some ships are only slightly different from other ships. Some of the modules are also only slightly different.
Overall, it is a decent game that isn't really worth the $15 that it is now. Get it on a sale and try it out. If you love space battles and massive explosioins, you would love this game. If you like plot and story to a game, don't get this game.
I rate this a 7/10 (Decent game). If they added a bit more of a difference between the ships and modules, and they had it 3d, and they added twitch decision making the rating would be much higher.