DISCLAMER: At the time of writing this review, I have 2 hours on the game. In reality I have much more, but I played it in offline mode because of traveling.
At first, I was gonna make this a stupid "Hurrr durrr this Star Wars and Doom 420/69" type of review. However, I really do believe a great game like this deserves an actual Pro/Con review. That being said, be prepared for lots of Pros. Pros
+ The environments of this game are some of the best I've ever seen in an FPS. They are all unique and encourage exploration, which makes every level memorable.
+ Lots of different enemies, all faithful to the Star Wars lore. You've got your Stormtroopers, Commanders, Probe Droids, Dark Troopers and many more.
+ Lots of memorable characters from the Star Wars universe. Mon Mothma, Boba Fett, and even Jabba the Hutt are all there.
+ The guns are also all faithful to the Star Wars lore (You might even find a few in other SW games), and are really fun to use as well. Thermal Detonators, Repeaters, Fusion Cutters, and even the Imperial blaster rifle are all super cool and fun.
+ Puzzles are thought out well, and are at that just right difficulty that you wont find too hard or easy.
+ Every mission has its own briefing, which tells you exactly what you need to know, no bullcrap.
+ Story takes place just before and after the Episode IV, so a big plus for me and many others. And its also super cool because YOU ARE THE ONE WHO GETS THE DEATH STAR PLANS.
+ This is an FPS done well. Its so fun to blast the hell out of everyone. The gunplay is VERY fun.
+ Creative obstacles. No, really. There was one room that was pitch black, with 4 Stormtroopers. The only thing that created light were all the lasers flying around, sorta like flying flashlights.
+ You can use you fists to kill everyone. HOW BADASS IS THAT?Cons
- The story. I mean there has to be a story, right? Except it feels so rushed and there's no point to it, because you only objective (except the level with the death star plans) is to stop the creation of Dark Troopers. Boring.
- The game is super short with less than a dozen missions, and lack of replayability makes it all the shorter.
- The ground feels like its ice, you keep slipping and sliding everywhere which makes it kinda hard to focus on a shot and do a bit of platforming.
- Lack of a manual. Thank Lord Vader for Steam guides, because it doesn't, ever, tell you the controls in the game.
- Obviously, everyone's con, the graphics. The game came out in 1995, and it has not aged well at all. If a younger gamer, or really any graphics fan picked this up, they might get turned off by the graphics. BUT THATS WHY I SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST. There is a mod for this game called DarkXL. It introduces lots of things like 1920x1080 resolution, rebindable controls, more options, being able to look up and down, a reticle, and it makes the game look fantastic. If you're picking this game up, download this mod, its worth it.
This game gets a 9/10. If it had just been a bit longer, and if the story had been A BIT better, this would've been a solid 10/10.