Having 42 hours on record and 100% achievements on this game, I think I can provide a useful review. This is a great game and excels at what it was made for. That said, it is not for everybody. Thus, I shall be listing what to and what not to expect from it.
What to expect:
- Survival horror: there is no fighting (on your part), running and hiding is the aim of the game.
- Jump scares: yes, it's a survival HORROR for a reason. Keep a spare pair of underwear available when you are playing this game.
- Explicit and dark: violence, gore, vulgar language, some nudity and sexually related incidents all play a part in creating the dark, horrifying atmosphere of Outlast.
- Interesting storyline and background information: The storyline has a bit of a twist in the tale, things aren't exactly as you expected them to be. Also, with all the notes and documents one collects in this game, one gets a decent amount of background information which helps with the atmosphere of the game, develops the plot (and player understanding thereof) and gives the player insight as to the nature of the silent protagonist, as well as some of the antagonists you'll be facing.
What not to expect:
- Hours of replay value: your first playthrough will probably be about 5-6 hours and the DLC about 1-2 hours. As the game progression is always the same, there is little reason to play it again (with the exception of wanting to get achievements).
- Competitiveness: There is no form of multiplayer or leaderboards of any kind.
- Something suitable for children (you should have picked that up by now)
- Sunshine and roses
- Clean underwear
- Being able to sleep at night (slightly exaggerated)
I absolutely loved this game and highly recommend it to anyone that is a fan of the horror genre, whether it be movies or games. I hope the information listed will help you in your decision of whether or not to purchase this game.