About the Game
Building off of the groundbreaking original, PlanetSide 2 is a free-to-play, massively multiplayer online first person shooter (MMOFPS) that delivers truly epic, massive combat on a scale never before seen in stunning, breathtaking detail. Harnessing the power of SOE's next generation Forgelight™ engine, in PlanetSide 2 battles persist when thousands of players align with one of three unique Empires in intense land, air and vehicle gameplay. In PlanetSide 2, the fight for territory is more than a victory, it’s survival.
Across the continents of Auraxis, thousands of players come together in enormous battles to win control of critical territories and key resources for their Empire. With an extensive skill tree and free-form class-based system, players are able to customize their soldier, weapons and vehicles to match their play-style, as well as the needs of their squad, outfit or Empire. Battles can last for days or weeks, so players need to build alliances and specialized combat outfits to take on long-term strategic and tactical initiatives. With aircraft and ground vehicles, as well as infantry combat, the battles are larger and more intense than ever before.
- THREE EMPIRES: Players will have their choice to join three different empires:
- Terran Republic – Like a militaristic government, the Terran Republic uses its Imperial authoritarian might to impel humanity to peaceful coexistence through any means necessary.
- New Conglomerate– A loosely connected group of rebel factions and idealistic freedom fighters, the New Conglomerate fight against the hegemony of the Terran Republic and the fanatical alien influence of the Vanu Sovereignty.
- Vanu Sovereignty – A technocratic Empire that believes humanity can only evolve by rediscovering and tapping into the lost technology of an ancient alien race.
- MASSIVE WARFARE: Battles take place not between dozens of troops, but thousands; with air and ground vehicles slugging it out alongside squads of troops. Whether in open fields, tightly-packed urban centers or enormous structures, victory requires strategic teamwork and a quick trigger finger to survive the massive battles.
- BATTLE FOR TERRITORIES & RESOURCES: The core gameplay of PlanetSide 2 is about holding key territories and controlling resources. Each battleground holds valuable resources and key positions, and the Empire that can conquer (and manage to hold) these territories are rewarded with fuel bonuses, ammo bonuses, tech bonuses, and more.
- PERSISTENCE: In PlanetSide 2 battles last for days or even weeks, and finally taking control of the base means it’s yours until someone can take it back. Working strategically as a team to capture key tactical positions such as power plants and ammo depots have long-lasting effects that can shift the tide of battle.
- METAGAME: Large scale, persistent and coordinated effort required by hundreds of players working together to accomplish continental domination.
- ENORMOUS MAPS: PlanetSide 2 features incredible continent maps with dozens of square kilometers of seamless gameplay space; every inch of which is hand-crafted, contestable space. With the new territorial control meta-game, landmass has intrinsic value.
- CLASS-BASED COMBAT: Players are able to build their soldier to match their play-style, or to match the needs of their squad, outfit or Empire. With 6 distinct classes, each combat role, vehicle and weapon has extensive certification skill trees. These cert trees allow players to grow characters laterally, unlocking weapons, attachments, equipment, specialized skills, and more.
- OUTFIT TEAMWORK: Outfits (guilds) have access to unique customizations– allowing outfits to have their own identity, reputation and role in the ongoing war.
- VEHICLES & WEAPONS: Players are able to access a huge array of weapons and vehicles which can be extensively customized for player preference or purposed with unique attachments and add-ons earned in game to fit each player’s style.
- BUSINESS MODEL: PlanetSide 2 is Free-To-Play with an additional in-game RMT marketplace with Items that range from cosmetic camouflage patterns and armor paint jobs, to things like XP accelerators. Items that affect gameplay, such as weapon side-grades will be purchasable via resources earned in-game through gameplay and achievements.
- VOICE INTEGRATION: Players are able to communicate with their squads both through keyboard and voice chat.