Here it is at last, the promised update! Reworked script and environments, controller and Big Picture support, settings improvements, more music, and lots of other changes. True, the update was promised for September, but it just got delayed and everything didn't come together until yesterday.
In the gameplay area, the most importer change is this one: the balls won’t be annoying anymore while you carry them. They become smaller and appear in the bottom of the screen.
Now, the script. The narrator's voice is much less intrusive throughout the adventure
and we have streamlined everything he says so that every last word is relevant; the fluff is gone, as is the overly complicated language that came off as pretentious. That said, the ending remains the same
; the message or the point of the story has not been compromised. In fact, the streamlined script makes the meaning of the story much clearer.
Structurally, the narrator now only speaks at the beginning of most levels, before your mind is occupied with puzzles, or when you as the player approach certain parts of the environment, which have been reworked to visually tell a story which the script compliments.
Indeed, you read that right: new narrative layers have been crafted into the environments, something that was sorely lacking at release. Also, certain parts of some levels have been completely redesigned
. Those with no great changes still have new details for those players who are particularly interested in the story. Meanwhile, if you only wish to solve puzzles or look at the environment, you are now free to do so. Also, as it has become obvious that many of you play for the sake of sight-seeing and taking pictures, all levels will now be unlocked since the beginning. You know that damn puzzle you can't crack?
Well, if what you want is to take a good look at, for example, the Zen garden at the end of the game, now you can simply go there!
Big Picture & Utra HD
You wanted more control and you will certainly have it. The game is now controller-supported
so you will be able to enjoy MIND in the living room, with Steam’s Big Picture. Of course, there is now an option to configure the vertical axis, and there is support for 4K resolutions
. Now you will be able to see every grain of salt at the shallow sea. Literally.
There are more enhancements coming along with this update. You will be able to set the level of grain and vignetting, including disabling them completely
, which is perfect for taking photographs at crazy resolutions.
Achievements, bugs and exploits
Achievements have been fixed
—now each and every one of them works. Also, most of the bugs have been put to rest. Why “most”? Two of them have been deliberately left alone, as they are used by speedrunners to quickly (and quite creatively) advance through the game. If you want to know who was the first MIND speedrunner
, you can follow their steps and you will find their name!
Generally, this is it. But there is still some more MIND to come. In the near future, there will be translations to new languages and a Mac version. Then, Oculus support. And much later, you may yet find new surprises if you stick around. Did someone say “MIND photography contest”?
- Reworked and rerecorded the entire script
- Environmental narrative now present in almost each level
- Music added to certain key areas
- Mysterious something appearing somewhere now (shhh do not spoil anything!)
- Added new models and textures.
- Reworked the entire level flow after leaving the old house.
- Added support for xbox controller and any other kind of pc gamepad.
- Added the Big Picture feature.
- Added parameters to control Vignette, Grain and Y axis.
- Added support for ULTRA HD resolutions (4k).
- Unlocked all chapters from the beginning
- Zen Moment achievement
- Collision problems at the beginning of chapter 4
- Reespawn event glitching the game at flying rocks
- Audio non stopping at the final boss
- Sounds improved at the beach level
- Collision problems at the cave
- Cave achievement now working properly
- Grass now doesn’t spawn near the player
- 17 minor collision bugs
- Ball now doesn’t glitch anymore at the hospital level
Our warmest regards from the TEAM!