The differences between Metro 2033 to Metro 2033 Redux are signifigant while the differences between Metro: Last Light and Metro: Last Light Redux are unfortunately miniscule and in some cases, non-noticeable. I personally purchased this game for some easy achievements but that's not to say I didn't enjoy what I experienced. However, I feel there's a bit to praise and criticise 4A Games on with this product.Note worthy additions to Metro: Last Light Redux
● Enhanced lighting. This time around Metro: Last Light has been brightened and it now features lens flares! Whether it's for the better, that's up to you to decide!
● Many textures in Metro: Last Light Redux have been slightly enhanced. However, this enhancment will not be noticeable unless you are running the graphical settings on Very High.
● Enemies are now more responsive to light and sound. If you fall from a high place or turn off a light, expect an enemy to investigate.
● The addition of safes. Hidden throughout the game are safes with corresponding keys. These safes contain a variety of items including ammunition, military grade ammunition, grenades, throwing knives, etc.Chapter based enhancements (For users who have played through the original Metro: Last Light)In the chapter Reich, you now have the ability to jump when you're in the chase scene with Pavel.While fighting the Rhino in the chapter Undercity, nosalises will now attack you. It makes fighting the Rhino a little more challenging, but not nothing you shouldn't be able to handle.Aspects of Metro: Last Light Redux worth praising
● The ability to approach a combat situation in multiple ways. Sneaking, knock out kills, use of silencers, and using the darkness to sneak up on enemies. It may seem silly and common knowledge but many games in the current gaming industry fail to deliver anything more than just a watered down run and gun experience.
● The new A.I. combat subroutines are irritating yet innovative. If you're approaching a combat situation guns blazing be prepard for some jumpy, trigger happy enemies.
● The achievement progress saving system. In the original Metro: Last Light, progress was saved in a consecutive playthough. This time around you can reload checkpoints to accumulate kills, unlock safes, filter air time, burn cobwebs and unscrew light bulbs.
● No unsynced voice and facial animations. Although a little wonky, the facial animations and voice are never unsynced from start to finish. That's certainly saying something considering the majority of the games created today have the issue with unsynced facial animations.
● No 'in-game' store. The majority of developers feel the need to put a direct link to their game's downloadable content within the game itself. This angers some consumers while ruining the immersion they're trying to create.Aspects of Metro: Last Light Redux worth criticizing
● Non-existant NPC eye tracking. I never realized how important eye tracking was before I played the Metro series. Almost all of the NPCs in Metro: Last Light Redux feel as if they're staring off into space, unaware of their surroundings or the player.
● Copy and paste menus and user interface. The menu and user interface of Metro: Last Light Redux is the exact menu and user interface that Metro: Last Light used back in 2013.
● Gender and race discrimination. I'm not saying that all games have to feature a diverse group of characters but I should note that this particular product is focused around caucasian males. This game doesn't have a single character that isn't caucasian and only has a single female soldier.
● The watering down of achievements within the game. While they may have added 5 new achievements, they have completely gutted 28 from the game, including ones that were from once downloadable content.New achievements 4A Games has added to Metro: Last Light Redux
1. Veteran - Choose three primary weapons that use different ammo.
2. Pyromaniac - Burn 50 Cobwebs.
3. Engineer - Use 10 Lever Switches.
4. Master Thief - Open 10 locked safe boxes.
5. Cheers! - Drink at every occasion.Achievements that were in Metro: Last Light but were not present in Metro: Last Light Redux
01. Weapon Smith - Install all possible Customizations for a Weapon.
02. First Draft - Write 10 of Artyom's hidden Diary pages.
03. Tesla - Break 50 Lights.
04. A Present - Take the Custom Pistol from the Locked Box.
05. Businessman - Make 100 Purchases.
06. Diver - Fall in the Swamp 10 times.
07. Soup - Kill 5 Shrimp with Grenades.
08. Equipped - Find all Equipment Stashes in the swamps.
09. Walking Bank - Collect 1000 Military Rounds.
10. Inferno - Set 2 Enemies on fire at once.
11. Forgotten - Find the Hidden Ammo in the abandoned part of the station on the QUARANTINE level.
12. Musician - Use all Musical Instruments in the game.
13. Nobody's Home - Ignore the Phone Call in the Anomaly.
14. Bloodlust - Kill all the Reds on the THE CHASE level.
15. Van Helsing - Kill a Demon with the Helsing.
16. True Spartan - Hold the Platform without dying.
17. Gunslinger - Kill at least one Enemy with each Weapon available in the game.
18. Shadow Ranger - Complete the game without killing any Humans unless forced to.
20. Sniper - Kill 10 enemies with headshots using your sniper rifle.
21. Artifact - Find 30 artifacts.
22. Homo Homini Lupus Est - Kill 100 enemies with heavy weapons.
23. Willpower - Сomplete at least one HUGE mission.
24. Arachnophobia - Kill 20 spiders with your flame thrower.
25. Specialist - Complete the SHOOTING RANGE and ARENA.
26. Safe Cracker - Open 8 safe boxes on the PAVEL level.
27. Hunting - Kill 20 Nosalises on the KHAN level.
28. Eagle Eye - Kill more Watchmen than Artyom does.Poor business and digital rights management decision!
Unfortunately, this product can only be launched while connected to a network. These type of business decisions only affect the users who have legally purchased this product. If people have interest in pirating this product, they're going to find a way around this restriction.
The original Metro: Last Light has been removed for purchase from the Steam Store. If you some how manage to find a Metro: Last Light Steam license from a 3rd party source, best of luck finding licenses for the downloadable content. My condolences go out to the users who care about achievements and have purchased Metro: Last Light before it was removed but did not have time to purchase all of the downloadable content. These users who have only purchased the base game will never be able to obtain 100% achievement completion for this product.
I didn't enjoy this game as much as the original Metro Last Light, but I would certainly recommend it if the price is right.