I was 3D Worms fan as a kid. Is this game is a childhood ruined or exchanced? I'm on the fence.
This game is more or less an expanded version of old Worms 4: Mayhem. Most notable changes are graphical upgrades and Worms 3D singleplayer campain available to beat. Those are fine additions and the core gameplay is still okay, but there are noticable problems.
- Those overall art stily is a cartoony but normal 3D graphics with cel-shaded explosion effects - this combination just don't work. Old Worms 3D effects where more eye inviting.
- Game is slower paced than a 2D worms, which is not a bad thing on it's own. However, overall experience isn't what fun, thanks to the sluggish weapon and utilities physics. Weapons behave very strangely. Some are extremely reliable (constant 50DMG Bazooka shots) or suprisingly unreliable (Banana Bomb)
- AI is stupid as a Sheep. Team 17 never programmed a fine artificial enemies.
- Music is completely horrible. Worms 3D (game) and Armagedonn had a distinctive styles: happy-party and grim-doomy respectively. This game is just bland with uninspiring music and no art direction
- Menus ergonomy and UI needs a complete rework. Hidden important options, difficult navigation, poor visuals.
- Worms 4 singleplayer missions are uninspired. they are paired with pretty bland story around them. The included Worms 3D missions are more interesting. They are compact, focused and not bounded in half-baked story arcs.
This game is a fun experience, but you need other people with the same preference to the 3D Worms games as you. Then you will have a blast, thanks to the better controls and hilarity of events. You don't have such friends? Make a pass. You have enough of Worms in 3D (no matter, if in the good or bad way)? Make a pass. I'm still giving this game a Upvote, but it is a close one. I feel really generous today or maybe I feel nostalgic to those original Worms 3D missions?
Upplagd: 20 Februari 2014