Summary: Wicked sick man, so sick bhro. Fun and different with the 3d, I like it more than the classic 2d approach. Online play has some serious flaws and missing features, but not enough to ruin it but still despicible.
Cons: Online Play:
- Missing "Worm Pot" Modifiers, unless doing local machine play. Basically the Worm Pot is an optional system of up to 3 modifiers that you set on a Slot Machine graphic (can randomize with the lever or manually select). These modifiers include things like "Wind Affects All" or "Low Gravity", and theres quite a lot of cool modifiers you can select from. Having this missing online is some ♥♥♥♥♥♥ bs and is unfortunate.
- HUGE NET DELAY. There is what seems to be about a 3-5 second delay between what you're getting on your end of the game, and the person who's turn it is. Having this out of sync basically makes it so you know what happened and perhaps on mic you reacted to it; but they still have yet to see it. So if you are laughing at some epic ♥♥♥♥ of a move, or a shameful display, others won't know until later which is really just uncomfortable more than anything else. Its like having bad reception on a phone call sort of feeling of disappointment. Thing is, how does a turn-based game have this sort of ♥♥♥♥up in the first place yo? Whoever made the online play should be fired and go back to school. Even a 300ms delay (still sucky) would be 10x better than 5 seconds delay. Any other genre outside turn-based and this would ultimately break the game, obviously. But it doesnt make it okay on this nonetheless.
- Random lags and loading. This is not as bad as the delay issue, but it still is pretty ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. Its just another side effect of having bad programming for online play. In some cases it will sit and say its loading the map but just freezes, and everyone has to F4 out and reload the game, and the host has to recreate the match. Doesnt happen often but its true ♥♥♥♥♥♥ry.
- Creating a match in general outside of local play should have more hosting options. Its just straight up lazy and insulting and quite amateur to have just map, game style, number of private slots, and a friend invite system. Those no doubt are needed, but bare minimal if you ask me. Like stated before, the Worm Pot would be a nice beefy feature to satisfy folks like my ♥♥♥, and perhaps some other settings like a game timer override or a worm health override and some other small customizations. Those can be found as options when making a custom Game Style, but its a bit of work to go and modify an existing one or make a new one since its 7 pages or so of settings and its tucked away in a different menu of the game.
- Cluster Bombs dont do nearly as much damage per cluster or direct as they should. This being a step up from a normal hand grenade it should totally be doing some more serious damage. In my opinion it should be half as strong as the Banana Bomb.
- Beating levels should unlock weapons automatically. I played through Story past the Knights section and assumed I would get the Holy Grenade as a reward to use for online. It still wasnt showing up in the shop, and was still greyed out in the Game Style options. Not sure how they unlock weapons in the game, maybe you have to beat the game. In that case and either way, I dont think that's fair since most people are probably buying this game to play local games with friends and now (buggy ♥♥♥) online.
- Game would be funner with more available player slots. This is more of an opinion since the Worms games have always had 4 players only. Not to mention the scale of the levels might have to go up to accomodate 6 or 8, etc; but thats not a big deal. 4 player slots fill up fast when you have friends and family around that have the game. Someone will most likely get left out of the party at some point like some kid with lice; the poor saps.
- Funny as ♥♥♥♥ like most Worms games
- Addicting Gameplay because all the choices and dynamics that give it replay value up the ♥♥♥♥
- Customizing Worms and the things you can buy with the in game coins is pretty diverse enough to make some funny or unique creations. My team is the Ultradouche♥♥♥♥♥♥s and they are a sight to behold.
- Despite the online plays low-blow cop-out amateur ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, its still a lot of fun and you sort of forget those issues exists because how inviting the gameplay is (still doesnt make it okay chimpdicks!)
- Gives you a reason to get on mic and interact and take it easy. Most the times I dont really like getting on mic, but this game is a lot better when you do with friends, even with the huge delay online.
- Awesome and creatively diverse weapons and tools. I like dropping dynamite from the air via jetpack like a baller, or dropping a fat sumo down on the peasants below. Banana Bomb is a personal favorite though and I'm glad its still around and is still devastating.