Left 4 Dead, a series I simply cannot get enough of.
Played this game to Death on the Xbox 360 before I made the switch to PC and added an additional 880 hours into the game.
This review is extremely late, but I felt like it's the least I could do for one of the games I've enjoyed most.
Please keep in mind that this review is based off the memories I have of this game and how it was when the game was still alive, there will be an additional botch of text at the bottom regarding the current status of the game.
Developed by Turtle Rock Studios and Valve itself, Left 4 Dead 1 was one of the first shooters to combine Cooperative gameplay with Survival First Person Shooter gameplay. No longer could you "win" the game by only caring about yourself. You need your teammates and your teammates need you.Pros
● Unique Cooperative Gameplay in every Gamemode! (Campaign, Versus, Survival)
● The Lobby/Drop-in system works flawlessy allowing players to effortlessly finding a game.
● Free DLC.
● Make your own Maps!
● Low PC Specs required.
● Get to play as Special Infected! (Yeah.. those Zombies..!) in Versus mode.
● Scoring System in Versus allows for both Teams to make an insane comeback!
● Very Easy to setup your own Dedicated Server.Cons
● Players have to download Maps manually, they are unable to download from the Server they are joining.
● No Workshop.
● The Game is unpolished in regards to exploits and bugs, Valve has never responded to countless reports and complaints.
● No Matchmaking, you're very likely to end up with very unbalanced teams when joining Versus games.
● Ragequitting is not punished at all.
The Community for Left 4 Dead is very comparable to Left 4 Dead 2, in Public Games you can expect to be insulted and possibly even votekicked if you're underperforming in the eyes of your teammates.
There however used to be a Competitive Scene, this scene was much better in terms of actually being able to finish your games as well as making buddies. Unfortunately, it has died a long time ago.
Current Status of the Game
As of this post, Left 4 Dead has an 30-Day Average of 385
You are very unlikely to find Games going on, and if you do happen to find some, they're likely going to be unenjoyable.
The only way you're going to really enjoy this game, is if you find a couple of likeminded buddies and get Campaign + Survival going. Pushing your way through Expert mode will always remain fun. :)
If you're feeling lucky and you're not prone to ragequitting or shouting accusations (Trust me, nobody cheats in Left 4 Dead anymore) you can give Versus a go. 4 Players is already half of what you need!
Left 4 Dead currently costs $20, just like Left 4 Dead 2. They however have a much different feel to the game and I'd still buy both versions.
I recommend adding it to your wishlist until it gets on Sale though. ;)