[This text refers to the modified game - new version of BSM mod]Brief desricption of this game:
This is a hardcore spiritual heir of Jagged Alliance series. It's ugly, unforgiving and full bothersome bugs. If you're a person who is raised on perfected, shiny and eye-catching, easy to learn triple A games and you hate games which don't explain anything... Well, this is not game for you. Even if you're a mega-fan of Sir-Tech genius and you love tactical gameplay, it cannot be quaranteed that like you'll like "7,62". Try it yourself, it's cheap and this the only way to judge it.Longer description (something like review:-))::
This is a game that is hard to learn and hard to master. Even after 72 hrs of gameplay i didn't reveal all of it's secrets and nuances. You must learn how to travel, explore, fight, trade and execute mission targets by your own. It's highly recommended to read some guide before you enter the world of Algeira. It's not as bad as it can look, trust me. Your real enemy are serious technical issues which you'll certainly encouter during the game: translation problems, bugged quests, freezes and crashes. In addition this is game isn't a pretty one.
So why there are currently 50 positive reviews on Steam? Because this game do it's job and it's really brilliant in surprisingly many aspects. I do not want to write a book about it. It's easier to me to highlight main points:Pros:
- Graphics: Yep, Industrial Light and Magic didn't make FX for it, that's for sure:-) But you know, this game is not an high budget FPS, but modest tactical one and it's 8 years old! Graphics are pretty clear, you can easily see what is in your inventory, on the ground and where are the enemies. Farther, the are no limitations in camera control. You can zoom in, or zoom out without any restrictions.
- Sounds and music: these are pretty decent. You'll probably get tired of this songs after a couple of dozens hours of gameplay, but you can easy change it using music mod. In terms of gunshot and explosions: you'll probably won't hear it in a loud and "crunchy" way due to distances in gunfight. These sounds are rather sharp, rattling and kind of "dry". There are no "juicy booms", forget about it. I read somewhere that part of these sound were recorded at the shooting range.
- Tactical depth: this is one of most complexed and complicated game in whole military / tactical smart puase / turned based genres. There are virtually no limitations in the way you want to fight with enemy. You can use melee, huge range of small arms, grenades, booby-traps, you can use buildings, vegetation and terrain as cover and your advantage. You can flank your enemies, defend position, or attack aggressivly. Yo can snipe them slowly (if you can), put some OO buck in them in close range, or pin them down using squad automatic weapons. There are many, many tactical solutions, "7,62" at it's best...
- Variety of weapons: you won't find anything that could be even close to "7.62" in this matter. It's incredible how developers and modders did their job. You know, it's like putting an editor from "Guns & Ammo" to game developing process! Yes, it's unbelievable how they have done it. You got everything in here: pistols, revolvers, shotguns, SMGs, rifles, assault rifles, carbines, PDWs, sniper rifles, antimaterial rifles, SAWs and grenade launchers. Every each gun has it's own statistics like: accuracy, durabilty / dirt resistance, rate of fire, inflicted damage / bullet penetration, balance, time to preparation etc. Believe me, this is very sophisticated system which is affected by skills of your merc, use of specific type of ammunition and for example attachments that you can mount on your weapon (scopes, collimators, underbarrell shotguns, bipods, silencers...). If you like guns, you'll be in heaven when you'll see it!
- Smart Pause Mode: There are no action points when you move, shoot, or reload your weapon for example. Character skills are converted into time units. The higher are the merc skills, the faster he or she perform action. Of course there are skills that translate into precision or accuracy. It's very sufficient and effective hybrid system and it simply works very well.
- User interface: Very transparent and intuitive in most cases.
- Enviroment that could be partially destroyed. You can destroy unfortunately only light sources, cars and fences. Well, it's better than nothing...Cons
- Graphics: Oh man, just look at it...
- First general reception and impression: It's clunky, ugly rough and plain.
- Uncertainty: You never know if you're doing something right.
- Goofy camera control: when you (or your enemies) are in bushes, or in tight building cornes camera starts to act crazy. It's really horrible...
- Bugs, bugs, bugs: you'll find them everywhere. Fortunately, modding community has improved it significantly.
- Pathfinding: it's very annoning, especially in combat.
- Clipping objects and characters: enemies can sometims stuck inside of an inaccessible house and shot you through walls.
- Serious problems with stablility: this game always crashes after one hour or so. There are extreme fps drop.
- Dead world: shabby houses interiors, NPCs are like lifeless puppets, deserted streets and very limited interaction with the environment.
As you see defect list is overwhelming. But believe me, if you're a fan of JA / UFO series, you played Silent Storm and you loved it, and gun-porn is a thing that makes your heart beat faster:-), well you should at least give "7,62" a chance and consider buying it. This game is unique and you won't find this kind of tactical depth and weapon freakness anywhere else. It's really beautiful Slavic brothel !:-)