This is a review which I have struggled to write as I am very divided about the game. To make the review easier to read I have separated the good and bad points of the game.
1. The graphics very realistic (mine are on the highest setting) and the atmosphere is perfect for the game
2. Dying isn't a big deal, but you will restart at the nearest tower, same with quitting missions
3. The gameplay and map is open, giving you freedom to play how you like
4. The upgrade system is good, giving you chance to upgrade what you want depending on your playing style. I highly recommend health at first.
5. Gaining intel (explained in the game) is very handy for learning about your enemies.
6. Poison is very handy at times, best of all your enemies blame each other!
7. You can use enemies as a shield, great if you are being attacked by multiple enemies.
8. The check points during the missions are very handy, if you fail a section then you can restart that section. If you leave the game you need to start from the beginning of the mission.
9. The story line is great with lots of detail. I have never read lord of the rings or watched the films so I don't know how the game ties in.
10. Fast travel is very handy.
11. The wraiths abilities are awesome and essential to the game.
12. You can customise the skins / appearance of the character, most are gained from dlcs
13. There are lots of missions, collectables and side quests to keep you busy. In addition all the dlc.
1. The game is very stealth orientated, which is negative for me as it's not my natural playing style. I have learned pretty quickly as it's the only way to stay alive but it's not my preferred approach. This is a game similar to assassins creed, thief and the batman games.
2. Killing enemies, even chiefs etc doesn't make a difference to the game. There are always more and more to kill. The only ones which seem to make a difference are the war-chiefs.
3. Enemies are every spawning and like to mob you.
4. Kills with the bow aren't counted as stealth kills.
5. Health is gained from herbs, there are lots of the map but you can't take them with you. If your health is low during a fight your only option is to run (if you don't have upgrades and ruins to give you health).
6. No game difficulty setting, some people find it too easy, others too hard. Others are lucky and find it just right.
7. Protection missions are extremely difficult as if your ally takes one hit he is dead and you have to restart.
8. There is only one choice of female skin / appearance. However, you still have the same male voice.
9. The mouth movements are really weird when your character is talking to someone.
10. The only character to appear in the cut scenes is the default character.
Would I recommend?
Short answer, yes. BUT only if you enjoy stealth games and aren't bothered that your actions and kills basically amount to nothing in the game.
I got the game and all the dlc for £20 which was a great deal but I wished I had waited. The game is good but there are better games out there.
On a side note, this game is unlikely to run on a laptop. It needs around 40GB of space. If you manage to get it to open then there is a high possibility you will be running the game on a low graphics and it'll be chuggy