I wont lie, I was a little dissapionted with this game when I first stared playing, I was a big fan of its predecessor 'Stonghold crusader', this was by far one of my favorite games when I was younger.
Pros and cons:
PROS- The graphics in-game have been updated, although not as much as you might hope for, especially for the fact that the old one came out 12 years ago.
- It is much harder to appease the peasants who flock to your castle, this does make the game a bit more challenging when it comes down to 'laying siege' to an enemies castle, at least in multiplayer. You can starve your enemy in a manner of speaking.
- There are new units, athough most of these are nearly identical to the predecessors, using some of the same quotes and one-liners.
- The walls fall down in 3D, instead of dissapearing,
- Destruction of castle walls and towers, looks better,
CONS- the Opening menu was a major dissapointment, i dont really know what i expected but the predecessors kicked ♥♥♥ compared to this new one.
- The new AI sucks, really sucks, (eg. the enemy computer always gets free siege equipment)
- The graphics aren't that imppressive for the amount of processing power it takes to run the game.
- The price tag for what you get is practically extortion.
- If you arent familiar with the game it is quite hard to understand the mechanics of the game, depsite the introduction campaign/scenario
- The new voice acting for the AI is just generally annoying, in my personal opinion they should have used the old voices from the last game.
- The mulitiplayer menu, is the same as the opening menu, a dissapointment
- There is a building and troop limit, whilst understandably for lower end computers is unchangeable, but there should be a way to adjust it.
All in all the game leaves you feeling a little underwhelmed, to be honest if your thinking of buying this game do yourself a favour and wait until a sale, save yourself the dissapointment of spending a lot of money on something that isn't quite up to standard.
I do know that Firefly are releasing updates and extensions so hopefully in the future they may be able to fix some of the problems, and annoyances.