Im aware this is probably the most reviewed game on Steam, making my own take on this game quite redundant (is there anyone with a unique opinion of HL2, not shared by anyone else? Doubt it).
However, i noticed the two best games i got on Steam that i havent reviewed yet happen to be the 2 best FPS's of all time, so here's the first review of the two:
Half Life 2 is the role-model for all FPS games ever made:
It "only" has a singleplayer campaign, but its so well done it doesnt need anything else.
- Graphics-wise, know this: it's a 2004 game, i played it on 2010 and not once did i feel they were outdated (then again, im not one of those who care a lot about technical aspects)
- Sounds... this is not a type of game where this aspect is very relevant, so i cant recall anything about it really
- The Story, even though its not the most original or filled with amazing plot twists, it is still compelling and engaging, making you care about its great characters and what happens next
- Gameplay, there's where this game excels. From the now-classic 'no cutscenes / always in control', to the incredible variety of scenarios in each level, each with its own tone and pace, and jam-packed with (this is my favourite aspect of the game...) UNFORGETTABLE MOMENTS - seriously, i can recall more than 10 scenes that i'll probably never forget about this game.
The weapons are also great, in quantity, diversity and in the fun-factor. The enemies too are varied enough and provide a reasonable challenge (though an higher difficulty level would be great).
- The length of the game is also one of the best / longest i've seen in an FPS, though it provides little replay value once finished.
Conclusion: Must-play for any gamer out there, to experience a landmark in videogame history, proving again that Valve knows how to make Greatness. Note: Episode 1 and 2 equally recommended to continue the Awesomeness!