Also see my Overlord: Raising Hell Review because a lot of my game time was spent there. (Because it contained both Overlord 1 and the Raising Hell Expansion):http://steamcommunity.com/id/miyumiayase/recommended/12710
TL:DR? See Conclusion
Overlord is a third-person action/adventure game developed by Triumph Studios and published by Codemasters. The game was originally released for the PC Platform and the Xbox 360 in 2007 with a PS3 release the following year. The game's plot primarily serves as a parody of generic fantasy themed worlds. The game also heavily relies on its primary game feature called 'Minion Control' where the player does 20% of the work and the other 80% by ordering small goblin/gremlin/imp like creatures collectively called 'Minions' to do stuff for you.
The game puts the player in the horned helm of a recently resurrected warrior whose name is never mentioned but is generally known to everyone as “The Overlord.” Having been recently revived, he is informed by an old minion named Gnarl that a group of adventurers killed the old Overlord, ransacked the Overlord's Tower and 'freed' the previously controlled domain of his predecessor. As the new Overlord, the player is now tasked to take back the lost territories and exact revenge on the unsuspecting 'heroes'.
+ The graphics, although aged, still looks good. The art style is reminiscent of Fable 1 which was nice for its time.
+ Interesting new concept of minion control which was more or less implemented well
+ Great minion control mechanic despite some minor annoyances
+ Dark humor with obvious parodies and easter-eggs
+ Good weapon and armor design but...(See CON #6)
+ Good story with a good plot twist
+ Nice voice acting (that goes well with the humor) and sound effects
+ Good level design with a lot of environment variation
+ Fun little mini-games and puzzles
+ Healthy game time
- Cutscene animations needs improvement
- No Overlord's Tower defense quest (I expected that adventurers would attack my tower and I would have to setup defenses but no such event happened)
- The Overlord's Tower has little to offer aside from the Dungeon and the Forge: Most of the tower upgrades are cosmetic with no bearing on character progression.
- Can't talk to the NPCs outside of quests and stories: Disappointing specially if you want to know more about them or want to ask questions
- Limited corruption events / triggers
- Limited selection of weapons and armor
- Can't do much in terms of exploration
- Fixed camera that sometimes bug out when sweeping minions
and comes highly RECOMMENDED
. Overlord is a game that came as a surprise on how good it actually is. It may not be a Triple-A title but it certainly delivers a fun and enjoyable experience with its interesting game mechanic, good story backed up by good level design, good humor and an overall wonderful experience.
It does suffer from a few flaws, one of which is that it lacks essential RPG elements that would have made the experience much more entertaining. Another issue I had with the game is that, aside from the main quest and story, there is virtually nothing to do aside from minor Tower upgrades and occasional dungeon farming. The game also starts a bit slow, but after the first few levels, it starts to pick up the pace. Despite these flaws however, the game is still an enjoyable experience that is both well paced and well constructed and is enough to get your money's worth.
I can easily RECOMMEND
this game at FULL price because its relatively cheap but instead I urge you to BUY THE OVERLORD COMPLETE PACK
which contains Overlord 1, Overlord: Raising Hell (expansion), and Overlord 2. If, for some reason, you don't want Overlord 2 then purchase both Overlord 1 and Overlord: Raising Hell because the expansion does add a substantial chuck of story to the main title and serves as a prologue to the events of Overlord 2.
Like my Reviews? Follow my Curator's Page:http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6861651-Miyumi%27s-Review-Corner/