About the Software
FaceRig is a program enabling anyone with a webcam to digitally embody awesome characters. It is currently in development and we estimate the public Beta to become available on the 29'th of August 2014 (and the final version to be ready in December 2014). It is meant to be an open creation platform so everybody can make their own characters, backgrounds or props and import them into FaceRig.
FaceRig is being developed by Holotech Studios and the image based face tracking SDK being used is provided by Visage Technologies. If you want to independently test the Visage Technologies face tracker you can do so by visiting the following link on an HTML5 enabled browser
FaceRig has three versions:
- FaceRig (or Facerig Classic) is the base version. It is meant for home non-commercial use on PC.
- FaceRig Pro is obtainable by purchasing the optional FaceRig Pro upgrade DLC. It is the same as Classic feature-wise except unlike Classic it allows for the generated content to be monetized online (with strict limitations - please read the EULA for details - http://store.steampowered.com//eula/274920_eula_1, especially if you want to license it as a business or to use it for profit). The limitations are ok for typical monetization scenarios on YouTube and TwitchTv (it is ok for Youtubers and Streamers).
- FaceRig Studio targeted at the professional market. This one is estimated to be available much later, in 2015.
We believe that FaceRig will entertain many gamers, modelling and animation artists, members of various fandoms, streamers, web casters, YouTubers and their audiences.
For now we're focusing on just tracking and rendering the portrait with its expressions, but we aim to do more in the future. The FaceRig end goal is to provide a full featured real time digital actor set for home use.
- Real time head and expression tracking in an input video stream, (also with audio analysis).
- Combining tracked data with additional virtual puppeteer-ing input.
- On-the-fly animation re-targeting for the tracked data and applying the animation on a user selected 3d model, with audio processing (voice alteration)
- Rendering and lighting the animated model in real time, in a user selected background.
- Encoding the rendered video and sending it further as output from a virtual webcam (it basically intercepts webcam input, and swaps the images captured by your real webcam with the fantastic content before sending it further).
- Provide the interface for tuning the parameters of all operations above.
- Customizable avatars
- Open creation platform: you can make your own models (outside of FaceRig), import and use them as your avatars. The models need to be created according to a set of published specs.
Voice alteration will not be available at the start of Beta except as a local effect (it will not be streamed out). You can test streaming it out ahead of time if you use a third party virtual microphone driver).
Numeric export of the tracked expression data (exporting the motion capture data to use in other applications) will be a feature reserved for the Studio version. FaceRig Classic and Pro only output already rendered video and audio.
FaceRig is an indie initiative, and its development so far has been successfully crowd-funded through Indiegogo. A warm thank you goes to our amazing backers for their support and enthusiasm.