It's good 'ol Myst remade on a fully 3D engine with better graphics. Not only that, but the remake also features modern WASD+Mouse control scheme (classic movement style is also available) and even nice little things like dynamic day & night cycle.
However, there's also the bad:
The remake suffers from very poor performance. I can run Battlefield 4 with consistent 60+ FPS on ultra settings, but realMyst:ME can barely hit that mark even on lowest and frequently suffers from random drops in framerate.
And I must say, while the game looks a thousand times better than the original Myst - it doesn't look good enough to justify such poor performance. Model and texture quality isn't great, and while in some cases it actually looks nice by replicating some of that nostalgic aesthetic the original Myst had - in other places the lack of detail is too obvious.
Add to that:
- Dynamic shadows are a nice addition but are of fairly low resolution and you can clearly see the jaggies.
- Obvious texture seams in many areas.
- Somewhat clunky and unintuitive "FPS" controls, which only enable mouselook while you're moving. If you're standing still - you can't look around with the mouse unless you hold right mouse button.
- Mouse cursor is not constrained to the game's window (even in fullscreen) which is annoying on multiple-monitors setup.
- There's very obvious model popping in some areas, where models switch between low-quality to high-quality versions (example: The interior of the library on the main island).
And that is just what I discovered in the first half an hour of playing the game, on the very first island and I fear there's more to come as I get further into the game.
I cannot recommend it until the developers at least sort out the performance problems.