Extremely fun at times, but ruined by a couple of major issues. Too many flaws for me to recommend.
- Unreliable gambling shop for acquiring upgraded weapons. Under no circumstances should you be required to wait an entire day to attempt to gamble for a weapon with unreasonable odds. Even when maximizing your odds you are unlkely to get a weapon, you can only buy crystals in bulk and hope for the best. If MAIET wants to turn G2 into a cash cow, could they at least make it consistent? Put the blues at 3.99, yellows at 14.99. The people who got lucky from the shop or have hundreds of dollars to waste love it, but nobody else does.
- Bad netcode. Zero attempt at lag compensation. You need to aim where they will likely be by the time your ping reaches the host, rather than aim where the enemies actually are.
- Even worse host & matchmaking system. MAIET is intent on keeping it P2P either because they're unwilling to fund a revamp or they don't realize just how ridiculous P2P is for the region the game is on.
- Lack of progression/direction. Weapon stats are hard to compare, and many of the bars are extremely misleading. Having to datamine to get the actual stats for comparison is unacceptable. Convert the bars to numbers, make the differences between weapons more noticeable and less clearcut as to which one is best for use, and do something to further weapon upgrade progression beyond "Get the green gear, then gamble for a couple days straight and hope you get lucky for the next tier of weapons". Make it so you can buy the blues for gold or USD, or achievements where if you get a certain number of kills with the green weapon, you get the blue version of it, and so on with the yellow version.
- The list goes on. Rena & Max are extremely strong in certain ways but terrible in most others. You need to pay for the other classes. No duel mode. Some cases of bad map design. Almost nobody prefers Time Assault. No custom games. No server browser. Ad nauseum. You get the idea. The game seems to have been released too early.
Don't let my ranting confuse anyone, I love the basic premise of GunZ. The combat, the classes, the campaign, etc. There are a lot of things about this game that MAIET did correctly, I just wish they'd done the majority
of it correctly.