Look at my name. LOOK AT IT! And tremble before the fearful countenance that is my Desert Dweller portrait!
Yes...I'm an old Wasteland 1 fan. Loved it then back on the old C=64. Loved Fallout 1, 2, Tactics and Fallout 3, all of which were inspired and modeled after Wasteland. So I am admittedly a little biassed in this brief review.
Some things I like about it so far:
- Depth of choice
- Consequences and world alteration based on those choices
- Deep character customization
- The atmosphere created by the visuals and audio
- There is 'enough' eye candy and ear candy without going overboard
- Multiple approaches/solutions to many problems
- Challenge and reward levels feel apropriate
- There is 'enough' realism to add in planning and tactics that help immersion without being burdensome
- Lots of nods and references to the original that actually fit into the story and make sense
- There is 'enough' voice acting with apropriate emotion that isn't too cold/dry or too flowery/dramatic
- The written story is deep, interesting, concise and easy to follow so you can move on quickly
Some things I would like to see improved:
- Character creation needs more detailed notes for newcomers.
- It is not clear HOW or even IF most of the C.L.A.S.S.I.C. attributes alter your skills. Derived stats, yes. Skills, I can only see one stat that will impact some of them.
- Screen edge scrolling/panning of the area map is a little slow.
- Would like a little more freeness in the camera controls. Rotation, zoom and angle. I don't care if I see map edge.
- Sometimes hard to tell what is and is not cover in combat.
Overall though, it is great fun and stays very true to the original. Even with the few lumps it has, it is very polished, rock solid stable, and seems optimized well for multicore CPUs and multi-GPU setups. Characters and quests make sense and are well scripted and laid out to be intuitive and challenging. There is some fun exploring little nooks in the areas to find hidden loot and bonuses. And while it is fairly linear, the branches you can take are divrese and plentiful. I see a lot of replay value just from the choices you can make. And your choices will have impact, sometimes in unexpected and even unplesant ways.
So, grab your Proton Axe and Meson cannon...and don your best suit of Pseudo-Chitin armor. It's time to go out adventuring among the muties. Just be careful, so you can come back to camp and share your stories around the fire over a bottle of Snake Squeezins. Radioactive glow and 3rd arm optional, of course.
*** Disclaimer - read before you comment ***
This review is my personal opinion.
I'm not interested in debate or discussion.
Argumentative, hijacking and/or trolling comments will simply be deleted.
To me, hijacking my positive review to push your negative review is the epitome of laziness. If you want to be heard, put the effort into writing your own review. You can discuss it there.
And even if I was interested in discussion...which I am not... Every comment I have deleted thus far has not held up to scrutiny when compared to the guidelines posted here:https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4045-USHJ-3810