Nice but short game
Van Helsing is a typical hack'n'slay with skill tree, mana, cooldowns and so on.
I took me about 18 hours to complete the game with one character (caster aka Thaumaturge), this include finishing all sidequests and expose every single area. Compared with other games like torchlight this is a bit short.
One variety was a tower defence part and the possibility to power up the generator for the traps. Unfortunately there were only 2 events were you have to defeat the secret lab.
After I finished the game I also tried the Scneario mode which contain higher difficulties starting from 31 (current cap level for the player is 30).
In this mode you could gain glory points instead of xp. Normally you should find better items on this
single map scenarios but compared with the items I already had the weren't better. But this depends on kind of luck you have (like in other games).
So I created new characters to test the other classes, but after a short time it doesn't makes fun playing the same story again.
At last I tried the "Neverending Story" mode which was described as "The monster will keep getting stronger while your only way to improve is to play even better. See how far you can get!"
Well it was really hard and the main thing I did was casting my spells and run away till all was dead. For stronger monsters that means run in a circle arround them casting again and again and don't stop to drink healt potions. And the bad thing was, this tooks a lot of time and after a while it gets boring. Short game summary
- Level cap: 30
- Skill and ability points could be assigned
- Skill and ability points could be assigned to your aide (Lady Katarina)
- Perks: by finishing quest and killing enemies you gain reputation. There are 10 levels of reputation and on each of them you could choose one perk to activate e.g Unstoppable (Immunity to all movement impedding effects)
- Glory: after reching max level you could gain glory points in scenario mode. And with these points you could increase stats like attack rate, fire damage or cooldown reduction
- game modes:
-- Neverending Story
-- Hunter (blades, firearms)
-- Thaumaturge (caster)
-- Arcane Mechanic (expulsion cannon)
-- hardcore character as special option (like in other games "death is final")
- multiplayer modePositive:
- good hack'n'slay: I played it through in 18 hours on two days caused of pickup loot and leveling up
- chest were you could share items with other characters
- single skills from the skill tree of player and aide could be removed by paying gold (same for abilities)
- too short
- difficulty could only be choosen on character creation time and not be changed after that
- difficulty varies to much: normal game could be played through no problem but the "Neverending Story" mode was too hard.Conclusion:
It's a nice game which facinates me from the beginning till the end. Even if it's a short game I would definitely suggest this game.
Posted: December 20th, 2013