I had played the original Cave Story back in 2010, when I read an article about it on 'Hak5'. I liked it 10 minutes into the game, and loved it by the end; when I had had experienced two different endings. "Multiple endings! Wow!", I thought; and when I read more about it, I found out that there was one another "best" ending, and some more hidden secrets that I was yet to discover. So I went back to the game, and I did. That was awesome, discovering something new about something that you are already in awe of.
A couple of years forward, I'm playing Cave Story+, with polished graphics, remastered and new music, new game modes, and what not; and I'm totally in love, all over again. Take my word for it, this game is awesome, you will enjoy it to the core. But, if you do like to read more on why I think so, here goes:
- Your decisions, and there by your actions will have a bearing on the sort of a game end that you will experience.
- You will still discover secrets when playing it for the 'n'th time, there by hugely increasing the game's replay value (provided you don't refer to something similar to 'Cave_Story_Secrets.txt' after the first time, or worse, before you have even completed the game; you will be very very tempted though, and hey, there's no shame in addressing a few guilty pleasures; I always do).
- You will love getting lost in a fantastic 2-D world, with beautiful sprites and background art; an awesome score that sets the mood of the area and the situation you are in.
- And at last, you will relish, and be in awe of the fact that all of this, from programming; to all the graphics, music; to the big fantastic story in its entirety (which gets revealed in bits, a lot of it through a lot of the characters who are beautifully woven into its strands) was originally conceived by a single guy (who aptly calls himself 'Pixel'). A SINGLE GUY!
Pixel's spirit is that of Hermit Gunsmith, (the drowsy creator of Polar Star; "What's 'Polar Star'?", you ask! I say, "Play the game and you shall know.") for he says a few words of wisdom, late into the game, that very much reflect the guy that Pixel is."There remains a very delicate balance in this world, between those who create and those who will experience the creations of others. I can't say that I wasn't aware of this. However, I had never experienced it. Now, thanks to you, I finally have. As long as the there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in creation, the effort is time well spent. To this end, I will continue to create for as long as I can."
- Hermit Gunsmith; Creator, Polar Star & Spur.http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123953248
Say what you will, I will always be of the opinion that creating something like this (referring to the core of the game here / original version), with everything that it has, is extremely complex, even for a couple of people. A SINGLE GUY! EVERYTHING! Having played Cave Story(+) a good number of times; I deem this game, a creation born out of utmost love; and just for that single fact, it has inspired me.
If you can't afford this now, you can still play the free version
. Apart from some bells and jingles, the core of the game is all there in the original version, you won't miss anything major