One last correction: No, do not buy this!
The developers now consider this glitchy, buggy mess of a game in its current state "a solid build" and do not plan any more immediate updates to address the multitude if bugs:http://steamcommunity.com/app/280890/discussions/1/34094415787543676/#c34094415796867709
That's it, this game can't and clearly won't be salvaged. The developers are in denial and completely blind to this game's plethora of problems.
Stay far, far away from this and spend your money elsewhere!Update v1.2 (outdated, see above):
Due to the developers' activity within this community and in order to acknoledge the hard work that is still going into this game I have revisited the game one more time after the last big update (v1.2).
To make it short: It's still not something I could give a thumbs up in good conscience, it's still very rough, very unpolished and occasionally very broken.
But it's no longer the complete and utter disaster that it was upon release, I actually had some fun exploring the ship for a little while - there is
an enjoyable game hidden inside this mess and it may or may not be revealed in future updates.But, even though the developers were too proud/stupid/inexperienced/misinformed to release this as an EARLY ACCESS title - that's what it is and that's how any potential customer should treat this.
- it's a mess, but most early versions of a game are and at the time of writing it's still in active development.
This may or may not become an enjoyable game in the future.
These are my current grievences (they may or may not be fixed in future updates):
- Absolutely zero savegame management and no manual saves! That's still completely unforgivable:
Used up your sparse ammunition or too much of the (apparently) non-rechargeable flashlight? Prepare to die - it's like a ten hour long (at least the devs and more pain resistant players keep throwing that number around), ultra slow paced rogue-like without proper save feature, enjoy!
- No rebindable keys (the layout is more sane now than it was upon release, but there is no cusomization possible at all).
- There is no possibility to return to the main menu and adjust any settings without losing progress, "PAUSE" pauses the game (and does not bring up any menu), "ESC" ends it.
- The voice acting is pretty bad
- The writing is even worse than the delivery, bro!
- It's shockingly glitchy! The character keeps jumping on top of consoles, jerks violently near obstacles and occasionally gets stuck in the scenery.
- Lights flicker at an epilepsy inducing ultra-fast pace around every corner, my 60Hz monitor can't keep up. It's the most insanely obnoxious and migraine triggering flickering I have ever experienced in any game.
- The audio is tinny and unmastered and as glitchy as the rest of the game with lines triggering while others are still being delivered, playing over each other and leaving an uncomprehensible mess.
- Quite often the game leaves the player stranded, there is no mission log, no repeat function - didn't hear, understand or remember what to do next: well screw you, then!
- Crouching doesn't change the player's point of view! It's like nothing happens at all when pressing the crouch button, except than now, while "crouched", one may be able to get out of some scenery one got trapped in before.
- Aiming and shooting is clearly designed for VR and quite awkward without.
- The enemy AI is slightly improved, but still pretty bad.
The game is not unfixable, but it's no fun in its current state - it's simply far too unpleasant to play at the moment and it's at least doubtful that all the issues will be worked out eventually.
My original review:
Why on earth is this not an Early Access title?
Who in their right mind would think: Yes, this is finished, this is worth $20, let's release this on Steam so people can buy, play and review our masterpiece.
Let's get the positive out of the way: It's a solid idea and someone, at some point, sunk a lot of time and energy into making this an atmospheric space horror adventure (the combat feels like little more than an afterthought).
It's not original in any way, but there are, undoubtedly, elements this game does execute well - with some more work, actually, with a lot
more work, this could have been an atmospheric and immersive Amnesia meets Dead Space.
The game showcases some really competent (visual) design, but even visually, a lot of things are still very
Everything else, in its current forum, ranges from amateurish to incompetent to mindbogglingly stupid.
I didn't finish this game, I probably never will, but these are the highlights so far, in no particular order:
[...]cut for length, current list, see above[...]
Again: this isn't an Early Access title, someone clearly thinks this game is in a presentable, playable, enjoyable state and they couldn't be more wrong.
[...]cut for length[...]
Update v1.1 as requested by the developers (see reply below):
Look, if you are so worried about reviews not reflecting the current state of the game:
Why did you not release it as Early Access, it's clearly still a work in progress!?
Had you done so, my review would have been labeled as an Early Access review, which this game clearly still is.
And while v1.1 is a baby step in the right direction, most of my points still stand [...] cut for length [...]