Saw this game for the very first time at the Indie showcase at EVO. Wasn't sure what to make of it.
I got the chance to speak w/ the devs of Secret Ponchos and they explained it to me.
Everyone seems to be trying to get into the MOBA scene these days. Hell, even Blizzard is. When it comes to the fighting game scene, new titles come and go; but, its the classic titles/franchises that withstand the test of time.
Secret Ponchos realizes that there are elements from these genres that work well together, creating a blend of gameplay that puts it's foot in a wide area of appeal when it comes to gamers, casual, fun-seeking, hardcore, or just plain competitive.
But, what is it exactly?
Well, its hard to call it one thing. I'd like to just say its fun; but that doesn't say much now does it? xD
- It is a spaghetti-western themed action-based twitch shooter.
- Its a multiplayer game, for sure.
- It utilizes an isometric view, used in action games and mobas like Diablo, Torchlight, League of Legends, and DOTA 2.
- It features a roster of widely different, but balanced characters, known as Outlaws.
- It features several game modes that allow the player to choose whether they'd prefer to have a classic 1v1 duel or a team based battle or maybe you just want all-out chaos with an 8 player free for all.
- Team battles can be 2v2 or 3v3
- Team battles can be played as deathmatch, with whoever is the last man standing wins for his/her team.
OR, team battles can play in Domination to see which team can outkill their opponents.
- Outlaws are able to use a dodge roll to evade enemy attacks and put distance between them to gain better positioning or a hasty retreat.
- Outlaws can also take cover behind objects to hide themselves or shield themselves from attacks.
- Each character/Outlaw has a different way of fighting that feels unique to them and they all employ 2 weapons, each with primary and secondary attacks, that can be switched back and forth with ease.
- Having 2 different weapons, with each having 2 different ways of attacking adds an intriguing amount of depth and strategy to the combat; especially during team battles.
My Outlaw employed a Gatling Gun as his primary and could utilize a ground slam that let out an aoe stun effect that enveloped a small radius around me. For my seconday weapon, he possessed a Molotov Cocktail which he could throw and have it explode in an area, giving off an AOE burn effect to anyone unfortunate enough to be caught in it. It also is able to be used as a close range deterrant by igniting the ground around you, putting flames between you and anyone wanting to get close.
Having these differing ways to attack and defend gives the feeling that its more than just "see person, shoot person". Its about positioning, defending yourself, capitalizing on your opponents mistakes and knowing when to strike. The fundamentals of MOBAs are good strategies to use in this game.
- Don't overextend yourself. Be aggressive, but not reckless. Stay with your team. If you die, your team is at a disadvantage. etc. etc. etc.
The community is small, but is fun, friendly, helpful, and approachable. The devs also enjoy playing the game they made and are easily accessible. They have a great game here and it can only grow from here.
It is worth every penny and I look forward to playing it for the rest of early access and beyond release.