Castle Story is a creative voxel-based strategy game in which you can build castles one brick at a time using an army of little characters called Bricktrons. Your goal will be to explore a vast landscape full of mysteries and dangers, and defend your castle against onslaughts of hostile creatures and possibly other players.
Release Date: Sep 23, 2013
Watch HD video
Early Access Game
Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.
Note: This Early Access game may or may not change significantly over the course of development. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you may want to wait until the game progresses further in development. Learn more
What the developers have to say:“Please be sure to read THIS DISCLAIMER before you buy the game, it will give you an insight on what is or isn't actually working!
Do you want to be involved into the evolution of our project?
Are you the type of gamers that don't mind having to deal with a broken version of a game?
Then Castle Story's early access is for you! Join us today and start sending us your bugs report and feedbacks.”
Recent updates View all (30)
June 17th, 2014
Another small update.
- Fixed the save issue, for real this time. Please let us know if you still encounter any issues.
June 13th, 2014
Got another small patch here to fix some more big issues!
- Another fix for a different issue that caused save-games to not save the world
- Made it so any material that falls off the island is properly deleted
Also, since we're going to be patching more regularly, we're going to stop posting our weekly blog here in the announcements. It can still be read every Friday at our main site, and the post in the forums here on Steam will be updated regularly. This space will now exclusively be for events and patch announcements.
“Its promised blend of building and strategy looks great, the kind of thing to rekindle the very fondest of childhood memories...”
“... I’m having a nostalgia rush [...] Castle Story is the first new game that I shall be observing by means of a spyglass each morning throughout 2012.”
Rock Paper Shotgun
“Holy bags, Castle Story is looking amazing! I wish I had made it, haha. :D <3”
About the GameCastle Story is a creative voxel-based strategy game in which you can build castles one brick at a time using an army of little characters called Bricktrons.
Your goal will be to explore a vast landscape full of mysteries and dangers, and defend your castle against onslaughts of hostile creatures and possibly other players.
The world of Castle Story takes place on flying islands, high above an infinite ocean. The islands are made of voxels, cubes made of various elements, which means you can dig, carve and build anything you can imagine in the landscape. Digging underground to gather resources, stacking bricks on top of each other to build a wall or even tunnelling through a mountain is all possible and even necessary to keep your Bricktrons safe.
Carefully designing your castle not only requires creativity and imagination, but thanks to pathfinding AI and physics simulations, Castle Story has layers of strategy and depth on top of an otherwise free-form sandbox experience.
Castle Story will be released for Windows & Mac (with possible Linux support once Unity4 is released).
- Build any structure you can imagine! Using 2x1 blocks, create structures that are not only good-looking, but also functional. Your Bricktrons need to be able to navigate your castle to build it and to keep the monsters out!
- Physics! Watch a tower crumble to the ground realistically when its foundations can no longer support it. The entire world obeys to the laws of physics which means that you need to build cleverly so your castle can withstand attacks from projectiles and explosives.
- Sandbox! Build a huge sprawling fortress, a single impenetrable bunker or a network of underground tunnels. The choice is yours. Castle Story rewards imagination and ingenuity.
- Strategy! Command your Bricktrons as they build your castle brick by brick. Manage the way they work, what resources they gather, and the places they explore. Use your resources to build weapons and armor for your Bricktrons and all kinds of upgrades for your castle.
- Combat! Using shields, swords, bows and lots more, your Bricktrons can defend themselves against the hostile creatures inhabiting the world of Castle Story. Lead your Bricktrons through tough fights, and use your wits to gain an advantage. You can even build catapults to rain destruction on your foes!
- Magic! The world of Castle Story is permeated with all kinds of magic. Discover resources with magical auras and learn to mix them to create effects. Explore strange places and find mysterious artifacts left behind by unknown civilizations.
450 of 488 people (92%) found this review helpful
37 of 43 people (86%) found this review helpful
22 products in account
3.7 hrs on record
Early Access Review
Ridiculously broken to be made available to the public to play: controls are wonky and counter-intuitve; bricktrons just stand there even after directed towards a place or task, just running down the clock to corruptron slaughter; and the construction method is impractical, though that was the only selling point that led me to this regrettable purchase (since most of the map is floating islands, its only natural to begin designing and building bridges - not possible in any way). I'm sure I and a few other buyers took the fall for this sinkhole so you don't have, so take this lesson: NEVER buy Early-Access Games. You would think that the sales would fund the updates, but you would be wrong. I now know I was.
39 of 47 people (83%) found this review helpful
25 of 29 people (86%) found this review helpful
148 products in account
0.1 hrs on record
Early Access Review
Hoooo boy. Considering buying this game? Wait. WAIT. JUST HOLD THE PHONE. Got the game for a good 10 or so dollars. ALOT of things they need to work on in this game. It was, in my opinion, not quite worth the 10 or so dollars... Maybe in time. Until then, I give it a thumbs down.
22 of 25 people (88%) found this review helpful
70 products in account
10.1 hrs on record
Early Access Review
4 Months without an update. May be worth the wait, but so far it was a big disapointment. Developers don't care much about anyone's opinion, don't reply to e-mails on their website, I recommend keeping away for a while.