Thanks to Motoki's awesome generosity (thanks again Motoki =D) I've given Super Toy Cars a good ol' playing. I like it a lot, it is a little buggy here and there, nothing devastating, but it's still Early Access so that's to be expected. It's another "Top Downy Toy Car Racery Arcadey Game" * in the mould of Little Racers STREET, Bang Bang Racing, Mini Motor Racing EVO etc. I'm gonna post some pros and cons for this one.
- Very nice graphics, one of the prettier of the genre so far, on par with Bang Bang Racing.
- Different cars have fairly different driving characteristics, which you can see from their specs on the Purchase screens. Acceleration, Top Speed, Handling etc ratings are shown here and DO make quite a difference. Some cars are quite "drifty" on corners, others have better handling and grip but you can apply the handbrake to drift on the sharper turns.
- Weapons - Like Mario Kart, Wipeout etc you can pick up "single use" weapons off the track to use against other drivers.
- Choice of three views - close behind, further behind and a Micro Machines style zoomed out and directly overhead view (I had the most success with the far behind view. I would prefer an option of far behind and higher up like the one's available in Little Racers and Bang Bang)
- Fun tracks, all kinda toy themed, like the old Micro Machines game
- Great soundtrack by "The Spin Wires"
- Track editor and Steam Workshop support (although it seems fairly complex compared to Mini Motor Racing EVO's)
- A little buggy, in the hit detection you can clip objects that don't seem to be there. On one of the maps, a small raise up in the track can flip and flick your car up and get you sideways. In the "Minefield" track a mine can suddenly appear directly in front of you giving you no chance to evade it. Again, nothing too serious though. For an early access game the game is very highly polished compared to some.
- The tubes you have to drive through on some maps, are a ♥♥♥♥♥. Extremely difficult to negotiate without clipping them or getting flipped onto your side on the exit. Some cars seem a little better at getting through them cleanly.
In the Battle of the "Top Downy Toy Car Racery Arcadey Games" * , I'd place them in this order:
1) Little Racers STREET
2) Bang Bang Racing
3) Super Toy Cars
4) Mini Motor Racing EVO
* The term "Top Downy Toy Car Racery Arcadey Game" © MinDRioT 2014