This game sadly feels like an early access, the game works but a lot of stuff are missing and it makes it really unbearable after a while.
I wonder sometimes if the dev played any other games like Transport Tycoon Deluxe, Railroad Tycoon or Cities in Motions 2 and if they even played their game !
+ The scale : big map, big stations, long trains, big cities
+ The simulation : cities grow with your changes, each cargo/passenger is simulated, cities got residential, commercial, industrial and leisure buildings.
+ Good building options
+ It's 3D, not particularly pretty but still nice though a bit empty and green.
+ Mod support (hopefully)
- Poor performance
- The UI is appalling
- Lots of options are missing (key bindings, UI scale, mouse speed, etc)
- A line will always use the same path and platform so 2 trains from the same line can't wait in the same station (or it is not as simple as it should be)
- The building tools are annoying. Why use drag and drop when you could just click once to start and click another time to just finish a segment then accept it or move the ending point. Not to mention you have to build segment by segment, can't do multiple points. Really annoying when you're building complex paths.
- Bridges and tunnels are a pain to build and they're way too high/low. Too much collision during building overall.
- Rails can't cross eachothers. You can't control what you wanna bulldoze so you'll end up destroying the 2 segments of a crossing when you only want one.
- No AI
- To replace a vehicle, it needs to go to a depot and you have to change them manually one by one ... REALLY ? After 25 years, I had like 30 vehicles and couldn't bear having to micro manage this part. Stopped playing right away on my first game. Depot aren't really fun to manage, trains don't need to service.
- The cargo chains are limited (but mods seems to fix that)
- The first 50 years are boring to me, not a lot of vehicles available (6 engines maybe ?) and they're extremely slow.
- Can't upgrade a station, have to pause the game, destroy it then build the new one. Stations limited to 5 platform. But since one line seems to use only one platform, you don't need more right now.
- Simplistic : the economy, the train tracks, etc. Did I mention the economy ?
- No map editor (yet)
And I'm probably forgetting some stuff.
Most of those points can be fixed but there are too many problems right now to make it really enjoyable.
I'm optimistic and hope they will sort everything out cause it got good foundations.
And hopefully, mods will make this game really complete.
Now, I don't recommend it, it's not finished and can be really frustrating. We'll see how they patch that game up.