Disclaimer: I need to state that I do not work for the company, I am however an avid space/scifi player and a game like this was one I could not pass up testing. With that being said here is what I have found:
Overall rating: 7/10 (Has great promise but needs a lot of attention).
* Free roam and exploration. (This game is a sand box), And each planet is MASSIVE. Area wise.
* Colony building (Currently in a rudimentory form but shows promise once they develop and add crafting and other managment abilities and structures such as a player run market system.) You can however build your colony anywhere you like, Although the limitation of where you can deploy an ILU (Individual Landing Unit, which is basically an item that allows you to travel to other planets and other sectors on a planet. You can walk across the entire suface unhendored if you want of a single planet, but they are huge, and it is much easier to simply travel via your ILU)
* Quests are straight forward, though can be difficult to understand your objective "location" wise. As there are no markers. However this is countered by the fact that there are few, as this game focuses on the player, and is about you. The quest in generally simply serve more as a "Tutorial" as you play the game giving you tips on occasion, the any real quest purposes.
* Gear is fairly easy to aquire and upgrade (though you will have to aproach it intelligently in order to get anything quickly, It's mostly about farming mobs currently and searching for special drops to sell for Armor and gear "Until the crafting system is in place").
* NOT PAY TO WIN. The stuff you can pay for with real money (Pyromanser, Dreadnaught, and Citizen packs), are of Medium gear levels. The armor is 6/8 (8 being the highest current protection level in game), and the weapon does about 300 - 375 DPS with varying ranges (Where as the best weapons in game do 500-700+ DPS).
The pyromancer pack has a Flamethrower which is really nice for a new player, but has a very short range which can cause killing some of the mobs to be more difficult (Many of the mobs are quite a chalenge to kill and range is a tactic). The Citizen pack and Dreadnaught pack both have long range weapons.
- The only difference between these pack Weapons/Armor and the Medium level gear you can get in game is that the weapons have a larger ammo clip (About double that of the normal medium in game weapon of the same veriety). The best weapons and Armor in game however, can only be obtained through playing the game.
* Updates it seems are done 1-3 times a month. And Major issues are generally fixed soon.
* Game is decently pretty to look at with many differnt environments, graphics are not too shabby either, though they could use some work.
* Open world non restricted PVP, (With recent updates even your colony can be set to shoot other people :D )
* The game is a bit laggy server wise, and Rubber banding can cause you to die on occasion which can be a bit anoying. Your weapon wont relaod correctly and it will lag out and the Mobs will kill you. Or you'll simply rubberband back into their line of fire at times. I caontribute this however to the game being new. Overall this should not interfere with your playtime.
* There are no Guides so to speak for the game or real tutorials or information on how to do stuff, and the website is not very active. So figureing stuff out can be difficult at times, but hey some would actually count this as a Pro, rather then a con.
* Occasionaly your game will crash while killing a Queen. You'll still get the loot (Thankfully) but you'll have to relog in or restart the client.
* When loading to another planet or loading in general, the game can get stuck on the loading screen, In my experience it happens about 3/10 times. And you ahve to restart the client. (Again thankfully, you don;t need to load very often at all as you can just walk everywhere once your on a planet).
* The game is set in a top down slightly angled view, much like the original fallouts. Not being able to tilt the camera and look at your suroundings is a bit anoying. You can however, unlike in fallout 1 and 2 and tactics, turn the camera, you just can't tilt it. I count this as a con because the game worls is really pretty in a lot of ways and it's a shame you really can't look at it all from different angles. But maybe they will add that later.
Overall I think this game shows great promise, I can contribute many of the cons to being in early development, Mining and Crafting and research are supposed to be added soon, and I can;t wait for them.
Over all, the largest issue with this game currently are probably 3 things:
* Stuck on Loading
* Rubberbanding / Lag
But it is in early develoment and release and currently sits are a Mid alpha, Pre beta form. So depending on your ability to deal with some of the cons above, it may be a great idea for you to give this game a try. Or not.
I am usually in game, My name is Malefic, and Yvira snow. Send me a whisper if you need any help or anything if you decide to play and give this game a chance.