Genre: Side-scrolling Platformer
Summary: Continue your father's legacy by setting off an adventure that ends in you routing a barbarian from a castle.
- Gameplay is in the vein of old-school platformers with on-site procurement of power-ups and armour, single health and life, and a timer (gauge is the player's character aging).
- There is a wide assortment of equipment and the oil system (enchanting) provides the player with versatility in options.
- Game maintains a sense of tension by making items have durability and management of inventory real-time.
- Enemies die from environmental hazards, which allows for bait-and-run tactics.
- Easy Mode (Great-guy preset) is available for frustrated players. No Armour Mode (Peasant preset) is available for players looking for a challenge.
- Has continued developer support.
- The jerky camera that follows the player is an annoying hindrance; the camera is tolerable in window mode.
- The game has a barebones tutorial and provides little information on system mechanics (equipment presets, properties of power-ups, oil, eggs, etc).
- Game is choppy, especially fullscreen and when there's a lot happening on screen. A crisper option was added to better performance but it seems to have the opposite effect.
- Sometimes enemy projectiles become stuck or throwing weapons disappear off-screen.
- Single health and life gives the game moderate difficulty; deaths will occur but the game becomes easier as you play.
- The different equipment pre-sets allow players to tailor their character but don't add replay value due to on-site procurement and enchanting.
- The game's art is clean and expressive but the animation, level-design, enemies, and music is rather bland and uninspired.
- The game is short (6 stages) with little replay value and an underwhelming boss fight. However, the game's length is justified by it's very low pricepoint.
- Enemy interaction with the stage is iffy; sometimes enemies don't detect gaps and run across them several times before falling.
- You shouldn't need to equip keys to open a door.