About This Game
TUG sits at the crossroads where survival sandbox and multiplayer RPGs meet, offering both elegant simplicity and a world of complex secrets for those who desire to seek them out. The gameplay focuses on crafting, exploration, pvp, and role-playing, with an emphasis on immersion and player freedom.
Begin your journey as a Seedling, a race of humanoid beings with special crystals on their hands enabling them to interface with the strange energies and ancient secrets in the world around them. TUG offers a massive procedurally-generated world to explore, full of mystery and danger. How will you and your friends harness these powerful tools to build a new world?
We currently offer 3 game modes in our current alpha state. Currently, survival mode is our main development focus and we will be adding a lot of content and features in the upcoming months.
- Survival Mode: This is our traditional survival mode which allows you to gather resources, build shelter, hunt, and farming. This is our current development focus as we plan to add many of the key features.
- Creative Mode: This single and multiplayer mode gives you the freedom to build and manipulate the terrain, craft, break, and control all aspects of the world at your own pace.
- Proving Grounds: Compete in limited PVP arena matches! Spawn as a helpless Seedling and collaborate or compete with others to gather resources and tools. Will you be the last Seed standing? (Under construction)
We want TUG to immerse you in it’s world. We are dedicated to bringing you that experience even if we have to build an engine from the ground up.
- Eternus Game Engine: We are building our very own game engine from the ground up. Are we crazy? Yes, but we feel that building an engine to support advanced terrain generation and modding support was very important to our vision.
- Dynamic Crafting: TUG’s intuitive, crafting interface allows creation of a constantly expanding set of tools, weapons, and armor.
- Biomes: Procedural generated biomes - Explore the biomes of TUG, from forests to deserts, including complex cave systems with many more to come.
- Lore and Mythos: Uncover the secrets of TUG’s world through exploration and gameplay, including an entire original language to translate and decode.
- Player-driven design: How you play will directly influence what Nerd Kingdom prioritizes in development.
Released & Testing Phase Features (Updated 9/16/2014)
These features have been updated into our game for you to play and provide feedback since our launch on Early Access. We will continue to improve these current features and implement new ones.
- Projectile Weapons: Physics-based projectile weapons to throw at people's faces!
- Prey Critters: Goats are are in and more are in the works.
- Cooking: Create a fire pit and cook your goat meat.
- Farming System: Craft a shovel and hoe to prepare your own farm. Gather fruits and vegetables, extract the seeds, and grow your way into a self-sustainable state. Build a fences to protect your food source.
- Modding: Full Lua script integration for more robust modding.
- Predator Critters: Hostile cats are in and more are in the works.
- Apothecary: Early stages of apothecary are introduced with 5 potions for you to craft.
- Crafting Refinement: Tools, items, and objects durability now take effect. For example, you can hit trees multiple time with a tiny sharp rock or craft a crude axe to increase gathering efficiency.
- Metallurgy: Move forward into the Bronze Age with new tools and weapons. First iteration of mining is introduced to feed your digging addiction.
TUG have been in development for over a year and we realize that building our own game engine takes up a lot of time. We wish to implement these features before we launch TUG early next year in 2015. We decided to release this early because your feedback, ideas, and thoughts means everything to us in this early stage. We wouldn't be here without the community so please get involve and let us know how we can make TUG fun for you. We are committed to launching gameplay updates every 4-6 weeks and hotfix patches occasionally.
- Alchemy System: Transmute item and sacrifice your energy for some sweet magic.
- Higher Tier Recipes: More crafting and recipe variations, as well as traps and armor!
- Multiplayer: Host your own dedicated server, or host a game session within the game itself. Only survival mode is single player and we are working on a new network code for better multiplayer experience. (Under construction)
- Pets and Companions: A pet that follows roams the world with you. Golems you can build, find within the world, and program!
- Terrain Generation v2: Our new generation will pave the way for more immersion with our biomes while allowing us to step away from block placements to smooth blocks.
- Dynamic Voxel Manipulation: Voxel placement, block smoothing, and the ability to push and pull within them.
- Sub-Biomes: A biome inception! Sub-biomes will allow larger biomes to be more immersive by allowing more variation.
- Dynamic Character Progression: Characters that physically change and grow as a result of how you play them! Eat too much and become heavy, run great distances and become lean, or swing heavy weapons and watch your muscles grow over time!
- Dynamic Skill Progression: Skill and health system based on your Seed’s actions. The more you do something, the better you’ll get at it.
- Higher Tier Tools: More building tools, like terrain smoothing and shape variations.
- Logic System: Programmable “magic” abilities and effects, traps, companions, and more!
- Dynamic Combat: Advance combat mechanics inspired by such games as Monster Hunter and Skyrim. A system that requires proper timing and skills to delivery to death blows to your foes!
- Unique Worship System: Perform tasks and rituals to gain blessings and boons from mysterious beings.
- Official Dedicated Servers: Dedicated servers that is hosted by us for the players. You can still host your own and have full control over on your own server.
- Water: It's hard to survive in a world without some H20!
- More to be listed as we continue development
About Nerd Kingdom
We are a team of game designers, artists, programmers, and academic scientists--the game is intended to serve as a platform for social science research of player interactions within virtual worlds. This ongoing research will be used to continuously improve the game, as well as further our academic understanding of how people interact in online spaces. TUG is an experiment in collaborative game design.