I have enjoyed the sport of cycling since I was a little kid, so when I saw this game I was really excited, but after playing this game for a while, I have come across so many issues i just cant recommend it to anyone. Here is a fairly detailed list of major issues I personaly have with the game.
1. It crashes a lot, I cant click on anyting during the loading screen or it will crash for sure. Nothing I care about much though.
2. This Issue hurts me deep inside the most. When ever you tell a rider to accelerate, if he is stuck behind someone, his energy stats will start going down(like what is suppose to happen if he is free to accelerate), but he wont be going any faster. So you are going the same pace as ther person next to you, but using up all your energy.
3. One small issues is you cant sim the rest of the race once all of your people are done, and many when there is an early mountain there are many stragglers and it takes forever for the stage to end. The worst offender I have found is a rider named Schwarzman.
4. During Sprints for the finish, you can only exactly set up your people the last coupel of K's to go. In real cycling they spend many more K's organizing themselves. This will many times lead to losing some leadout men or wear them out unnessarly. Between this and people blocking themselves in sprinting seems to have a lot of luck to it.
5. Breakaways. if you try to personaly chase a breakaway down at the beginning of the game it is nearly impossible at some points even though its your entire 8 person team hunting down 2 people. I understand It should tire them out a bit, but it doesnt feel right at all. Once your in a break away sometimes its peaceful and everything seems somewhat normal. But other times the riders your with in the break will just keep attacking until your rider (who could even have way better stats then everyone else) gets too tired to do anything. This is either on or off, they either cooperate (which happens every time if your not in the break) or selfdestruct. The biggest issue i have is teams that have people in the break, chasing the break down by sending riders to the front of the peleton. It doesnt make sense and seems like something easy to code and fix.
6. The game mechanics at time make me want to pull my hair out. I understand you probably dont want to be able to tell exactly where your riders should be at all times, but many times its just impossible to even keep them in the general area. If a rider from another team(or your own team) decides to slow down right in front of you and your unlucky, you could have just lost 30 positions and have just blown the stage. In real life many riders swing off to the side so they dont get in the way of other people, in this game they just screw over 3 or 4 people every time they slow down. Its impossible to follow an attack and draft even a little bit. You just have to spen the same energy they did most of the time no matter what you do. The energy gel is stupid. It is a one time item each of your riders have and after a delay they ride better for a minute or so. In real life riders are constantly eating and the feature really doesnt feel fun to do and does not feel rewarding. They need to add feeding stations on the top of mountains near the end of the stages that have them.
7. I disprove of most of the career mode features. They way sponcers tell you what races to focus on and base your results only on what they are looking for. You might be able to change these but i havent seem an option. Its complicated and unengaging. Training sucks. You train to basicly improve your stats temperarly, or so that you have less likely of a chance your riders wont get a massive penelty (random numbers appear next to your riders in the race, and if it happens to be negative they will not do well at all) during key races, which in its self i consider a stupid feature because most all riders during key races rarly have a bad day, and they dont spend that many days training in those specific location. (also doesnt take into consideration you trained there last year, a real rider would not forget everything). The equipment is what i have the least to complain about, but for the most part you get what you get, and the computer auto assings the best combo of grear most times, so there isnt much to do, its just there. I most enjoy picking my scheduel, which when you do there are a few unique multi stage races, and then the rest are single stage races that have reused maps, so your doing the same races multiple times in one season. Most of the decision making is already done for you and its usualy on par, but if you want to make sure your riders are peaking at the right time and doing it correctly, it is near impossible without writing a multiple pages in a notebook to keep track of everything and make an informed decision. The major theme of the career mode features is complicated in the wrong ways, already done most likely better then you can set up, doesnt translate over to what happens in real life at all, ... sucks....
8. It seems like they made the maps and graphics to look good in certain screens shots, but in actual game if your paying attention they are not that great.
9. The online part of this game is a joke. I have personaly found it unplayable, harsh penelties for leaving/crashing out of a game, and best of all its pay to win...
10. Alright, so we have an incomplete game. That means they are going to patch atleast some of the problems right? No. It seems they only make updates so that the game will run on any system they claim it will work on, and thats it. Instead of making real patches, they just push all their updates to the next game that you have to buy all over again, and unless you wait 6 months your paying AAA price. And in order to sell the new game, they need a bunch of new features to adverise so they make money, so they do that instead of fixing all the problems everyone actually cares about. I have not found a good/complete guide or tutorial for this game that doesnt just highlight the new crappy features.
honestly I would rather have the game play out like this. The first half of the race is simed. You can tell your riders weither they should try and get in a breakaway (possibly make a skill out of this. The higher your breakaway skill is the more likely you will be in it). Then post a list of the riders in the break away. then say how much your team should work on the front or how close you want the break away to be when your done siming. Then start the race half way through. This is just one of my ideas(not even that fleshed out), Also something they will never do. Just an idea...
A bag game engine, terrible AI, stupid career mode features, bugs, crashes, alright? graphics. Thats about it. Sadly if your anything like me you love the idea way too much so you buy it regarless and play this game way too much...
On the PCM website you can see the neglect for the game. All the dev blog posts are before or right around the launch of the game, the nothing. Nothing of FB or Twitter. After looking around a bit, it just feels dead. Littel initial thought followed by nothing.
Please tell these people to hire me as an intern so someone making the game will know how cycling really works and atleast try and fix the game breaking problems. I looked to apply but could not find where to submit an application(i didnt look to hard though, so i could be wrong). If I had a few years to waste and all the art done I would totally make a similar game on my own.
If someone knows a way for my voice to really be heard by the people making this game, let me know please.