-Click for Gameplay Trailer - Preview
‘Dwarfs!?’ offers an fast paced arcade-like experience, with difficulties and game modes to play around in!
There are only 3 certainties in this world: death, taxes and that Dwarfs always dig too deep!
Dwarfs!? from indie developer Power of Two, turns out to be a unique strategy title, with a bent towards racing to get more points than someone else within a given amount of time. Because this time-lock is counted by virtue of leaderboards, you don’t get any sense of multiplayer, just a standing. These leaderboards are separated by the different types of games, which are divided by the time limits, difficulties and game modes.
In a basic game, you get a time limit and attempt to score as many point as possible within that time. Your basic setup includes one digger, one warrior and one town center. So how do you score points? you must gain gold or silver! You do this by directing your digger dwarfs (sic) to the locations of the pockets of silver or gold.
Direct them into caves which are dark pockets. But they can may also contain water, lava or enemies. To direct your diggers you must lay down arrows explaining where to go, each of which will set you back roughly 5 gold a piece. that won’t help your score much. You may also gain gold from bonuses like digging up 500 tiles or sealing off caverns.
your dwarf has struck lava or water. If lava or water reaches your town hall, the game is over. So what’s a hard working miner to do? Fortunately water can be simply walled-off and the blocks around it reinforced, making it impossible to dig though. “solidifying” costs a hefty 75 gold per tile and a wall costs 30. To seal off a small area can cost al lot of hard earned gold nuggets.
Lava is a bit different as it will burn walls so you will have to use dynamite to create an endless hole in the ground for the lava to fall, dynamite only costs 50 gold, but the life of the miner or warrior that sets it off. If you then solidify the tiles around the lava, it will become completely trapped and you will gain a reward for doing so.
Dwarfs are great warriors which is crucial because the dark underground is no place for an unguarded miner. So you may train dwarf warriors to defend your town hall.
Thus you may require an outpost whence you may launch warriors to a location under threat allowing them to attack and kill any boss. You can train up your warriors, each for 15 gold per second! Warriors can gain levels too by killing enemys.
1. Arcade, set a time limit of 5, 15, 30, or 60 minutes then try to get the best score.
2. Base Defense, which is a tower defense game that you get to choose where the enemies go. You set the course, limited by the amount of money you can spend on arrows and you also have to buy towers. While you get a thousand gold pieces to start, you must also protect the four corners of the level.
3. Endless mode – like the arcade mode, but endless instead of a set limit.
4. Rush mode spawns dwarfs more rapidly but you can only let 200 of them die.
5. Dark mode, wherein all the tiles that the dwarfs can’t see, you also can’t see, so you have no idea where the gold, silver or even caverns may be located.
6. Sandbox mode: a mode that allows you to create your own levels and play around with the Dwarfs?! engine.
Dwarfs!? has a lot to offer and has enough variation to keep you motivated to dig deeper; different game modes will help you to never bore of this terrifically thought-out title.
However, if you enjoy fast paced arcade games with a dash of RTS and an emphasis on improving your score, Dwarfs!? comes highly recommended.
Thanks for reading! If you Like my Review, give me a Thumbs up in Steam (not the youtube video).
I make this for the Community and your help is greatly appreciated :)