In celebration of a new and exciting month, I decided to bestow an update upon you, our beloved players! Working on Chapter 6 gave us reason to go back and tweak some old environments. That gave us the opportunity to fix a few things that's been bothering us for a while.
Chapter 6 is going pretty well (no date yet). It's been hard to dial in the right trippy vibe, but I think we've gotten a lot closer during these last few weeks. Things are about to get weird...
Check out the details below:
• Engine: Fixed music manager bug
• Engine: Added mouseover actions to reading aid
• Game: Realigned helmet overlay
• Game: Made sure the game menu icon displays correctly
• Game: Tweaked UI
• Chapter 1: Swapped graphics to high resolution equivalents
• Chapter 1: Decreased compression rate of graphical assets
• Chapter 1: Color corrected graphical assets
• Chapter 1: Tweaked clipping mask
• Chapter 1: Tweaked kitchen background
• Chapter 1: Tweaked living room background
• Chapter 1: Tweaked fridge behaviour
• Chapter 1: Added dialogue
• Chapter 2: Tweaked surveillance room background
• Chapter 3: Tweaked mermaid interaction
• Chapter 3: Fixed depth sorting issue on deck 2
• Chapter 4: Added interaction options
• Chapter 5: Tweaked mob scene background
• Chapter 5: Optimized lake water animation (map view)
• Chapter 5: Split asset file to combat memory crashes
As always: shout out in the comments below if you encounter anything strange/buggy in the game. Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to report an issue!
I'm sipping on some coffee, looking out over the line-up of odd clay figures sitting on my windowsill. One of the figures (who's supposed to be god) looks like he's smoking a joint. I can't say I blame him. Sweden is unbelievably dull and grey today. The kind of day that just makes you want to crawl back into bed. Besides, gods need to get their rocks off as well, I suppose.
I'm taking a brief break from Chapter 6 in order to deliver this steaming hot update. It's fairly meaty, mostly addressing small niggles in Chapter 5. It might not win any awards, or instigate a revolution, or win the Democratic primaries, but it is another step towards making this game perfect.
If you want to check out all the nasty, sexy details, you'll find a rundown below:
• Engine: Added 'endDialogue' option to task manager
• Chapter 1: Swapped graphics to high-resolution equivalents
• Chapter 3: Removed bench interaction
• Chapter 4: Tweaked dialogue
• Chapter 5: Removed graphical glitch in Selma's room
• Chapter 5: Tweaked object descriptions
• Chapter 5: Tweaked interaction results
• Chapter 5: Added dialogue options with lynch mob
• Chapter 5: Optimized laser beam graphics
• Chapter 5: Optimized lake water animation
• Chapter 5: Removed an interaction button once the wall is breached
• Chapter 5: Added object interactions
• Chapter 5: Fixed walk area bug by the lake
• Chapter 5: Enlarged navigation button outside Selma's hut
• Chapter 5: Fixed armour interaction displaying wrong verb
• Chapter 5: Added hints (if 'Hint mode' is on)
As always: shout out in the comments below if you encounter anything strange/buggy in the game. Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to report an issue in the game!
It's Saturday in Sweden and I'm uploading a fresh volley of files for the game. While I wait for them to finish I sip from a glass of Prosecco, absentmindedly gazing out over the horizon. The color on the trees have started to change. Autumn is approaching.
Chapter 6 is still a while away from release, but it's looking really sweet. It keeps surprising me and Erik – which is a good sign. At this point it's obvious that the game has a life of its own and we're just invited along for the ride, making minor course suggestions here and there. I think it's safe to say that it will be the strangest chapter so far...
As for the update, you'll find all the nasty, sexy details below:
We just released another update for the game. That's how we do things around here. We did quite a lot of changes this time, but forgot to write them down as we went along. I also forgot to put pants on today. That's how it is sometimes. We've all been there.
If you ever forget something, we won't hold it against you. It's natural. The Machine accepts you for who you are.
Most of the changes we made were in service of Chapter 6, which we still don't have a date on. Progress is steady and results are looking good.
I hope you're enjoying summer (if you're on the northern hemisphere) or winter (if you're on the southern).
Personally, I'm enjoying a bit of both since I'm currently squatting over the Equator. Sun is shining on my right thigh. Snow is falling on my left. It's a beautifully confusing thing to experience. I'm sure you'd agree if you where here yourself.
As if that wasn't enough, I also just finished uploading a new update for the game.
We've been busy working on Chapter 6. It's a strange, demanding beast. Progress has been great, but there's still a lot of work to do before it's ready for prime time. Rest assured, we'll announce a release date as soon as we know what it is.
In the meantime, here's a fresh build with a decent amount of improvements. Nothing earth-shaking, but minor adjustments make a difference as well.
Below you'll find a content rundown:
Update #1 (2015-06-24):
• Engine: Fixed loading glitch after a settings change
• Engine: Fixed bug that stopped dialogue options from dimming correctly
• Game: Added chapter captions
• Game: Automated game update pipeline
• Game: Improved performance while on menus
• Game: Improved stability
• Chapter 2, 4 & 5: Tweaked background graphics
• Chapter 4: Tweaked dream map descriptions
• Chapter 5: Tweaked background graphics
• Chapter 5: Tweaked object descriptions
We hope you like it and shout out in the comments if you encounter anything strange/buggy in the game. Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to report an issue in the game!
I'm wearing a black hoodie, drinking Becherovka (that I bought leaving the Czech Republic). I haven't shaved in three weeks (because that's how I roll). I'm slow-dancing to the track 'Horse Steppin'' from the first Hotline Miami game. It's great. Put it on. You won't regret it.
The reason behind all this sexy madness is because I felt like celebrating our first three years on Steam! It's been a wild ride full of releases, screenshots, updates, hot sex, cocaine, bug fixes, car chases, shoot-outs with the police, and lots of great feedback from you guys! Thank you for being there with us!
If you're still on the fence about the game, we lowered the price by 66% this week. Try out the first two chapters, or buy it all in one fell swoop if you're feeling adventurous. Either way, I think you'll have a great time!
That's pretty much it. We hope you're doing well wherever you are. As for me: my ass is in Sweden but my heart is still in the Czech Republic. The machine loves you!
It's been a while since we last talked. Have you missed us? We've missed you. What have you been up to? Breaking hearts? Breaking laws? That's what we would do given half a chance. Trust us. But the fact of the matter is, we've been busy. So very, very busy.
What have we been up to? Why, we're glad you ask!
Aside from Chapter 6 (no date yet) we dedicated some time to completely overhaul the music engine. It was the main culprit behind the crashes that some of you have been experiencing. So it had to go. We've also added an extra hint system, that you can turn on in the settings. If you enable it, Victor will offer more advice on how to solve certain puzzles. We also optimized save file access so accessing the save/load UI should be a lot faster now.
Here's a full rundown of the contents:
• Engine: Added an extra hint system (option in settings)
• Engine: Re-wrote music engine to address stability issues
• Engine: Optimized save file access (only affects PC Steam version)
• Engine: Fixed rare freeze bug when watching close-ups
• Chapter 1-5: Tweaked dialogue
• Chapter 1-5: Tweaked backgrounds
• Chapter 3-5: Updated music assets
• Chapter 2: Added sound effects
• Chapter 2: Tweaked background music
• Chapter 3: Added autosave points
• Chapter 5: Fixed prism mirror indentation bug
• Chapter 5: Fixed graphical glitch in Willard's apartment
All in all, it's one of our meatier updates and we hope you'll like it. As always, don't be shy if you encounter problems with the game. And remember: the machine loves you.
We're happy to inform you that we just enabled Steam Cloud for the game. This means that your save games and settings will now be stored safely in the warm heart of cyberspace, and then synchronize across all your machines.
This feature is currently only supported on PC, but we hope to enable it on Mac in the future.
• Engine: Attempted to increase game stability
• Engine: Improved performance during menus
Update #3 (2015-03-18):
• Game: Enabled Steam Cloud (PC version on Steam only)
Update #4 (2015-03-23):
• Engine: Removed slight sound glitch when loading a save game
• Engine: Fixed rare case were player location didn't save properly
• Game: Tweaked UI
We hope you like it and shout out in the comments if you encounter anything strange/buggy in the game. Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to report an issue in the game. You guys help make the game better.