7.16 Update Notes * Added "Assault Mission Pack" premium content, free for owners of the 'Lost Eternia Shards Complete DLC' * Added "Barbarian Hero Class" premium content * Added "Hardcore Mythical Defender", "Dungeon Raider", and "Mythical Dungeon Raider" Accomplishments & Steam Achievements * Added one-button "Sync All Items to DefenderStore.com", and no longer pops up Steam Overlay after you login to the site!
* Added 'Mythical Defender' reward! 'Outlander' costume with special ability * Added Item-Box/Hero-Shop "Folder" support (& subfolders too), and Item Drag-&-Drop support * Added "Q" key to toggle "Front View" mode where you can view the front of your character and rotate around them for tasty pics * Added "H" key to Toggle HUD visibility * Added UI Option to disable controller rumble feedback
* Made Hardcore mode available in all Difficulty settings * Hardcore mission completions now save and are visible in your completion stats * Fix for network bandwidth issue involving high-attack-rate projectile towers: tower projectiles are now locally spawned and locally-calculated client-side, completely elminating their bandwidth cost. * Spider Webbing no longer stacks on players, you can only be webbed once-at-a-time * 'Group Hug' Achievement can now optionally be earned using the corresponding Gender-Swapped Heroes * Fixed bug where Squire's Blood Rage damage resistance calculation was inverted, erroneously making him take MORE damage as the Blood Rage stat was level updated. This is resolved, and now e.g. 1800 point Blood Rage will cut incoming damage by about 50%, enabling better Squire tanking especially on the high-end. * Reduced Healing Ramp Cost by 20% (less Healing Cost per HP increase), and reduced Healing Cost by a straight 40% in NM * Darkness Trap now strips mobs of elemental immunity, and reduced DU cost to 5 * Player Shop Maximum Item Sale Cost is now correctly 200,000,000 (the UI was previously erroneously limiting the number to 8 digits, preventing reaching this maximum) * Fixed the cost of upgrading "Halloween Spooktacular!" items, now is the same as other equivalent items * Fixed another kind of 'Return-To-Tavern-Crash' (perhaps the last) * Buffed Squire Circular Slice damage ramp by 15%, Reduced its cooldown by 1 second, and increased its animation speed by 25% * All Squire Towers HP buffed by 60% in NM, Harpoon Turret rotate speed increased by 40% * Eliminated Speed Boosts in NM Assaults
Eternia Shards DLC * Added Part 1 missions: Mistymire Forest, Portal Defense, LifeStream Hollow Uber MonsterFest (8-player), LifeStream Hollow PvP * Added early-access to "Nightmare" difficulty mode for owners of the 'Eternia Shards Complete Pack' DLC, with Eternia Shard enemies featured, & corresponding level, enemy, spawn layout & boss rebalancings * Added 5 new achievements: Mythical Defender, Portal Protector, Nightmare Portal Protector, Nightmare Eternia Shard Recovered: Purple, Eternia Shard Recovered: Purple * Added new "Mythical" quality-level items, with a level requirement of 74
All Modes * Fixed a GPU memory leak crash involving any mission with Terrain * Possible to sell/buy items with a value above 100 million now. * Added Adjustable Camera Field-Of-View Options slider * Fixed 1-byte Stat overflow bug, and Raised maximum Per-Item Hero/Defense Stat to 360 (not a total cap, just on each individual item, up from 126) * Changed Pet XP earnings to 100% of earned XP, up from 50% * Fixed a Secure-Trade failure bug * Fixed a UMF enemy-stuck area * Added optional damage-red material flash when any object or character takes damage * Raised Level Cap to 74 * DefenderStore.com items will now automatically remove from web listing when sold, dropped, or traded, and will switch between web Shop and web Inventory if moved between in-game Shop and Inventory respectively. * DefenderStore.com listing name will now automatically match in-game shop name * Damage resistance no longer reduces incoming momentum (knockback) from hits * Moved shake-camera and step-towards-target options to the general options panel * Made ALL Missions and Challenges have Leaderboards * Added next/previous page buttons to the Play Statistics UI level list * Nerfed Animus Damage by 33% (retroactive) * Changed Piercing Shot & Piercing Spreadshot cooldown time from 1.25 seconds to 4 seconds * TrendyNet will no longer accept connection from pre-7.13 game versions * Increased non-equipment Stat point cap from 100 to 120
The Daily Wishlist Giveaway continues today on Steam. Each day 10 people will win the top 10 games on their wishlist!
To enter, you must have a Steam account and a Wishlist with at least 10 games, and each day you will need to visit the gamepage of the featured daily deal. The Daily Wishlist Giveaway began December 1st and will continue into the holiday season.
7.12 Update Notes Additions * PvE: Added new 8-player "Über Monster Fest!" challenge mission as part of the 'New Heroes Pack' * All: Players can now to create their own "Hero Shop" with Items they own, set prices on those Items, and then specifically list their game as an "AFK Shop" game. Added button to view the available DefendersStore.com Items along with the active "AFK Shops". * All: Added a "Add to DefendersStore.com" button to the Item Box and Hero Shop, which enables you to post/updates your items to DefendersStore.com directly from within the game! Also the Items automatically remove themselves from DefendersStore.com when they get sold from your shop!
Changes * All: You can now hold "Alt" and click on another Hero Icon in the Hero Selection or Swapping UI to swap those two hero positions, so you can more easily organize your heroes into sets. * All: Score indicator collapses the same-type labels onto each other, so if you kill 100 goblins before the score indicator has caught up, you get a "Killed 100 +100" message rather than 100 goblin kill messages. This makes the score indicator much more useful and timely. * All: Every slower swinging melee weapon now deals proportionally more damage! (as listed on their Damage Stat too). Is retroactive. * All: Raised Mana Bank non-shop earnings Cap to 100,000,000 * PvE: Adept "Instant Upgrade" can now also be used in the Build Phase, useful for time-limited missions, and reduced the cost of "Purity Bomb" to 200 Mana. Also, Instant-Upgrade can be used beyond Upgrade Level 5 to do an Instant Repair, at a high cost of Mana. * PvE: Dark Elf Warrior Damage to Towers reduced by 50%, and their Targeting Desirability to Towers reduced by 40%. * All: Monk Weapons retroactively buffed 33% Melee Damage, Monk Ranged Damage Exponential Ramp nerfed 20%, Monk Hero Boost upkeep cost increased 20%. * All: Redesigned the Adept animations. * All: Upgrading Projectile Speed now has a minimal impact on resale value. * All: All Chicken Pets standardized to 80 Upgrade Levels. * All: Countess "Joust" damage scales better (increased damage stat ramp by 20%), and "Joust" now does scaled Weapon Elemental Damage as well. Countess "Call To Arms" radius raised and ally damage buff ramp increased 15% * All: Definitive Chicken-Pet 33% damage buff.
Fixes * All: Fixed bug where you could get someone else's Tavern dropped items in YOUR Tavern. * All: Keyboard-lockout after naming your game when using a Gamepad is fixed * All: Likely fix for weapon-not-appearing-on-character issue under lossy-network conditions * All: Another Countess "Joust" client issue fixed, * DDDK: Total Conversions can now use custom Materials.
* All: Added 4 New Heroes for play: the Adept, the Countess, the Initiate, and the Ranger * PvE: Added "Warping Core Challenge Pack", and added "The Great Turkey Hunt!" TrendyNet Event & four new corresponding Hero costumes
* All: Increased maximum number of profile Heroes to 16. * All: Magic Staffs Knockback Max Damage Multiplier changes to 1.8 (the same as Magic Bolt Projectiles) rather than 1.5 * All: Upgraded weapons have improved resale value * All: Added Auto-Refire (hold mouse button) For Squire and Monk attacks (both Monk attacks), and Apprentice staffs (hold RMB+LMB to keep auto-refiring, hold just the LMB if you want to Charge). * All: Hero Info UI stat point application can now be combined with the following modifier buttons: RMB removes a point, Shift with LMB/RMB adds/removes 5 points, and Ctrl with LMB/RMB adds/removes all points to a stat. * All: Gamepad users can now set an online game name when they Host * All: Changed Lobby Searches to be Worldwide (still ordered by distance of course). Sorry about that guys, no more region-locking! * All: Fixed one more case of an erroneous VAC failure. * All: Added Linear Upgrade Multiplier for Defense Upgrades -- this will linearly buff the Health and Damage of an Upgraded Defense according the following table (percents are each from the base value): 1st Upgrade +20%, 2nd Upgrade +40%, 3rd Upgrade +60%, 4th Upgrade +80%, 5th Upgrade +100% * All: Chicken Damage buffed by 33% * All: At the Hero Info UI, added on-screen mouse-keyboard combinations for faster level-up point applications and removal, particularly useful when respecing * All: Fixed issue with Gamepad Left Trigger not correctly activating the "Invest All" button on the Equipment Info UI
* PvE: Super-Loot scaling added to all INSANE Challenges * PvE: Shop gets restocked every 5 waves of Survival/Pure-Strat/Mix that you play, with the latest and greatest stuff. * PvE: Super-Loot re-added to Pure Strat & Shop, at their own scaling rates * PvE: Ogre Poison Ball no longer damages Eternia Crystals * PvE: Moved loot tables to scale several waves earlier (better loot earlier on) * PvE: Adding Super-Loot back into PS and Shops, ramp values forthcoming... * PvE: Limited enemy projectile flight-distances to 3000 units, to avoid long-flight stray arrows and projectiles causing game loss * PvE: Buffed Mix Mode Loot Ramp about 20% * PvE: Active (non-retired) Heroes boost boost the Damage output of towers they specifically summoned by 33% (indicated via a Hero Face Icon on the tower's floating HUD) * PvE: Buffed Monk's "Defense Boost" ability Heal-Amount Ramp by 15% * PvE: Removed the Dark Elf Warriors' 3-second Spawn Immunity * PvE: Skeletons will no longer target or damage Eternia Crystals * PvE: Any Hero XP earned is now also automatically applied as Investment in your equipped Pet, though at a 50% conversion rate
* PvP: Changed existing CTF Map to "Hold the Flag", added new CTF map that is 2-flag base-oriented traditional Capture the Flag gameplay.
The real heroes of the realm have gone off on a crusade, and only their young pupils are left behind to defend the Eternia Crystals from monsters. That’s the premise of Dungeon Defenders, a tower defence game where you place turrets to stop streams of AI-controlled enemies as they work their way around a maze to attack your base.
So instead of a Knight, there’s a tiny Squire in an oversized helmet and no trousers, and Huntress, who expresses her character by turning around and wiggling her buttocks. The intro warns that “these heroes-in- training will have to grow up quickly” – this might be too quickly.
Playing alone, it’s a strange game. Each hero type can place a different type of defensive structure, but you have to do loads of running around to intercept all the enemies. Placing structures costs mana, and that has to be scavenged from dead monsters. It takes a long time to scrounge up enough to set up a good defence, a long time to place those defences, and a long time to walk between all the places you want to put them.
Dungeon Defenders only really works in multiplayer: it’s co-operative, so you can each focus on one particular stream of enemies, or one particular aspect of defence.
I like to play Squire, and set up a killzone on one particular path. I place a harpoon catapult off the beaten track so it can penetrate whole lines of enemies. Then, to keep them in the field of fire as long as possible, I lay spiky barricades to block and damage them just before they leave its arc. If there’s room, I add a bouncer turret right in the middle of the chokepoint, which shunts them back or into the spikes.
These abilities are unlocked at regular intervals as you level up, and you can enhance either your fighting skills or your defensive structures. You also find randomly generated items, and can ‘invest’ in your favourites: pay gold to boost one of your weapon’s magical properties. It’s all smart and effective stuff to keep you engaged early on. After that, it relies more on you enjoying the matches themselves.
None of the individual interactions are especially fun, though – combat is stiffly animated and unconvincing, turret projectiles don’t have much weight, but there’s a definite pleasure in deciding where to concentrate your efforts and resources, while others do the same around you.
Strangely, Dungeon Defenders doesn’t have any good systems for encouraging players to work together. Mana, the most crucial resource, is hogged by the first player to snatch it from the battlefield. You have a shared maximum for how many structures you can build, but no individual player limits: the jerk who squanders it by overbuilding his own stuff is ultimately rewarded with a higher score.
It’s also tough to get into a good game. The browser tells you the character level of the host but not the other players, so you’re usually in a game with at least one hero too high or too low level to have fun with.
The core idea is good, but right now it’s too hard to get into a good game, or work effectively with other players once you do.
For a comparatively small game released on the same week as Skyrim and Modern Warfare 3, Dungeon Defenders has done rather well - it’s currently sitting pretty at number eight in the Steam charts. Well done Dungeon Defenders.
It could be set to get a lot bigger, too: developers Trendy Entertainment have just released Dungeon Defenders’ SDK as free DLC on Steam. The game’s cel-shaded graphical loveliness was built in Unreal Engine 3, and Trendy has included all the game’s source assets in the SDK. Which is jolly nice of them.
Trendy reckons you’ll be able to take Dungeon Defenders’ assets and do just about anything with them, from creating an FPS to a third-person RPG. You’ll also be able to tweak the game to your heart’s content, or create entirely new dungeons to defend.
To demonstrate the benefits of the SDK, Trendy has also released a 16-player Capture the Flag mode as free DLC. It's currently in pre-alpha, so Trendy wants to know your thoughts and feedback as you play
Dungeon Defenders Development Kit and CTF Pre-Alpha Pass Released Two major Dungeon Defenders releases today have opened up the game up to the community! The first part of this was the release of the pre-Alpha pass for the new, 16-player Dungeon Defenders Capture The Flag mode. Here players can join teams of 8 and fight online with their existing characters. Players can check out this mode in its early state, and provide feedback to Trendy via the forums so they can continue to develop and refine the experience.
Additionally,the Dungeon Defenders Development Kit has been released. This is one of the most robust modding toolsets ever, allowing players to create their own mods and total conversions, as well as seamlessly matchmaking and transfering through Dungeon Defenders' built-in online matchmaking. This kit contains full access to all of Dungeon Defenders' source code and art assets, including source for the new "First Person Defenders" mod which allows players to experience the entire game as a FPS and the new, 16-player Capture The Flag Pre-Alpha, which will allow modders to get a head-start on creating exciting large-scale multiplayer modes for Dungeon Defenders!
* Fixed return-to-tavern crash / map-transition crash * Fixed issue where Costumes would sometimes not be unlocked when completing Halloween Spooktacular!
* Fixed glitch where you could get "Unlocked New Mission / Costume" messages on every startup unless you did a local save
* Kobolds should no longer ever phase through blockades
* Raised cap on Monk weapon Ranged Damage stat per upgrade to 85
* Added Insta-Invest button to immediately dump in as much Mana as you can for the next Upgrade level
* Fixed bug where User Interface debug info could appear on-screen by pressing some obscure key combination
* Chain Lightning Tower now immediately retargets to new enemies after killing an enemy. Also its Attack Duration Ramp has been increased by 40%, now you get much longer-hitting lighting towers, and Lightning Tower AOE including max number of chains increased by 10%, and its Max Chain Length increased by 33%
* Uber-Chicken Pet's Damage now scales with Hero Damage and has a reasonable impact AoE, making it a fantastic boast-worthy reward for any Legendary Defender
* Fixed issue where DarkBot and Spanky pets weren't counting towards the "Gotta Catch Em All!" Achievement. If you already have those Pets, with this update you will simply need to drop those Pets from your Item Box or Hero, and pick them up or store them again, in order to have them count towards the Achievement.
* Fixed Ogres occasionally getting stuck in creep rooms on Glitterhelm
* Chicken Pet can no longer have poor number of upgrade levels
* Added simplified Monk Auras for low-quality graphics modes
* Enabled Guardians to boost multiple nearby Defenses! This is a new, upgradeable stat on all Guardians (only upgrades once every 10 levels so you need to be packing a high-level Guardian to get the most out of it). Increased Guardian boost-amount exponents by 100% so their Boost-stat value will have more of an effect as well. Enjoy it, it makes Guardians an incredibly powerful buff especially when used in team groupings!
* Auto-lock items picked up from tavern floors
* Reduced enemy ramp by over 60% for Survival Enemies (so a much quicker affair now), but now the Survival/Pure-Strat difficulty ramp vastly increased once you get past Wave 10. Moved Giraffe Pet earning to Wave 25 survival.
The tower defence action-RPG, Dungeon Defenders exploded onto Steam recently, and has picked up quite a following already since launch. You pick one of four classes and then dive into a dungeon to start throwing down defences against the incoming hordes of enemies. Kills mean experience, which means more creative ways to hold back the hordes. A massive update has just landed, bringing with it a wealth of balance changes and bug fixes.
Bad news, superfast mouse clickers, the update has "fixed potential double-upgrade bug with superfast mouseclicks," you might want to try and find a way onto the Diablo 3 beta where your clicking prowess will serve you better. There have also been some chunky nerfs to the Spooktacular "Van Wolfstein" weapon, the Huntress' piercing shot, the bowling ball turret and the harpoon turret. Nyooo! Get the full patch notes below, as seen on Steam.
Bug fixes / Feature Additions:
Rebalanced/redesigned Spooktacular spawns and added Leaderboard & Stats collection – Thanks Tsuda! Made Spooktacular skins unlockable by beating Spooktacular on hard (per hero class), though second set of weapons remain Insane-only Fixed various Spooktacular mission bugs Fixed chatbox getting stuck during level transitions Make costume unlock requirements clear in the costume selection Allowed mission unlocking/downloads at the mission selection screen Reduced self-heal mana cost ramp (cheaper to heal at high HP’s now) Added “Drop All Mana” key, default “M” key, and keybinding added to configuration tool Fixed problem with Familiar attack rate being effectively capped (there was indeed a bug with this), and renamed the Familiar Attack Rate stat to “Attack Speed Bonus”. Now high-Attack-Rate familars are way, way, way more effective. Made practice dummies average DPS over 5 seconds for a more accurate reading Fixed potential double-upgrade bug with superfast mouseclicks Moved bonus-item crates back into the main section of the Halloween Tavern, out from the Secret Room Added Pause menu option to “Hide Game”, which delists the game and prevents anyone else from joining it. Useful for turning public match into a private match, or making a private match totally unjoinable even by your friends. Fixed bug in algorithm to determine gear stat allocations, that was making high-end gear less likely to have Defense Damage and Defense AoE stats. Removed Non-Infinite Build Time Option for Easy, Medium, Hard Fixed bug where Squire would turn around when entering block in Chase Cam Pets will now attack one of the Practice Dummies in the Tavern so you can check your Pet DPS Added button (Default “G”) to remote-activate your Eternia Crystal so you can begin the Combat phase from wherever you are
Made Genie pet’s “Grant Mana Bonus” upgradeable, and made him grant more Mana proportionate to how much its “Grant Mana Bonus” is upgraded Nerfed Spooktacular “Van Wolfstein” weapon about 40%, and Huntress Ability ‘Piercing Shot’ about 30% Increased speed of Apprentice Staff “knockback” animation by 40%, and increased its maximum (fully charged) damage output by 50% Nerfed Bowling Ball & Harpoon Turrets a bit more: bowling ball & harpoon damages reduced by about 33%, attack rate reduced by about 25%, bowling ball projectiles now limited to 6 hits before breaking, harpoon projectiles now limited to 12 hits before breaking. Slice and Dice Tower no longer has such a vertical sweep to be effective against enemies above it Reduced Energy Drain rates on Electric and Ensnare Monk Auras Increased Insane/Post-Insane Kobold Damage by 20% and Kobold Explosion Damage radius by 20% 20% increase to Spike Blockade HP & its exponential HP ramp 30% better exponential damage ramp on Squire Circular Slice 40% reduction on Imp/Engy repair costs