- CRASH ON STARTUP Several Users reported crashes on Startup. An early version of the Steam Install Script got uploaded by me that didn't fully run DirectX, also I'm not sure I had all the proper prerequisites packed in the build. Either way, I have packed in everything that should be needed for DX, as well as updated the install script. Those who have already installed the game, I'm not sure this will help you...but if you are experiencing crashes on load after you have downloaded the update. Simply Click Here
and run the DirectX Web Installer.
- CRASHING DURING GAMPLAY AFTER ABOUT 3 LEVELS There was an error where save games weren't saving, mainly because a folder was missing in the installer, not sure why it got made on some builds and not others, but it was the problem. This would cause grabbing bandage girl to crash at random times as well as initial runs of the game to crash. Those of you that had problems with the game starting even after the install of DirectX, this could have been your problem. This issue has been (As long as the update makes the folder) resolved.
- STUCK RESOLUTIONS / INVALID MONITOR INPUT Users would get stuck in resolutions that their monitors would not display. Not sure what is causing this because I look at what the monitor can display, but either way I made a work around. Users can now force resolution and window settings to get the game to a working state where they can adjust them further. The commands are as follows:
-fullscreen force full screen mode
-windowed force windowed mode
-640x480 force 640 x 480 resolution
-800x600 force 800 x 600 resolution
-1024x768 force 1024 x 768 resolution
With windowed and fullscreen options, the game will default to the last res that was tried, valid or no..so if you are having problems I recommend following the steps below to fix it. (I'm sure the majority of you know how to do this, but for those that don't see below).
- Go to Library, then Right Click on Super Meat Boy and go to Properties
- Click on Set Launch Options
- Fill in the options starting with dashes and separated by spaces in the text field
-NO BROWNIE OR DR FETUS BOSSES I'm a moron and forgot to upload the boss files for Dr. Fetus and Brownie. Players would play their stages and see no bosses. I uploaded them now, they are in.
-MENU CRASHES There were some menu bugs, mainly with the pause menu and the character select menu in game. These have been fixed
We have scaled the textures best we can. There are 3 modes available to the command line. The gamedoes a miniprofile thing that determines what resolution and texture detail you should be running at...but sometimes this can be wrong. To help adjust performance issues you have 3 options:
-highdetail Highest detail
-meddetail Medium detail
-lowdetail Lowest detail
-lowdetail runs fine on a netbook. I have an Asus Aspire One. 1.6Ghz Intel Atom, 1GB Ram, Integrated Intel GMA 950 inside. If I switch on low detail, the game maintains a 50-60fps for most levels. It is very playable with extremely small load times. My computer here, with an NVidia 260, Q6600 Quad Core, 6GB Ram runs the game at like 400FPS Un-VSynced. So that's basically you're range. Those are the two computers I had available during development, so they represent high end and low end.
Speaking of VSync, the game needs to be V Synced. I can't stress this enough. If you are experiencing Cutscenes running fast, or Meatboy freaking out while standing still, just switch on VSync and you'll be fine. This is something we cannot fix since Graphics Drivers can choose to ignore developer settings. I tried artifically limiting the framerate today and honestly I didn't like how it looked. It wasn't as smooth as VSynced (obviously) so...just VSync it.
If your game is running slow or you are having slow load times, just do lowdetail and a lower resolution and you'll be fine. If my little Aspire One running XP can do it, we can all do it:)
[Small update on Load Times]
Thinking about it, the Atom has hyperthreading. I'm betting people with slow load times have single core non-hardward threaded processors. I'll look into this.