These classes are run by professional educators, and outline how best to use YNAB. They are run as a webinar, and you can feel free to ask questions as the class runs. New Years is a great time to start budgeting, so check out the classes now!
(These classes are free whether or not you've purchased YNAB, so if you're just checking out our method, definitely feel free to jump in!)
This latest version of YNAB now handles DropBox for Business accounts correctly, as well as users with symlinks to redirect the DropBox folder location, includes tweaks to the Turkish Lira and Belarusian Ruble currencies, and fixes a few other issues.
Better - Belarusian Ruble now uses 'BYR' as the currency code.
- Turkish Lira now uses ' TL' as the currency symbol.
- YNAB now handles multiple DropBox root directories correctly (can happen when using DropBox for Businesses).
- Exporting the Net Worth Report now includes the account balances at the end of each month.
Fixed - On-budget transfer inflows in split transactions that also contain an uncategorized subtransaction are now correctly excluded from the uncategorized row on the budget screen.
- Having symlinks under the Dropbox folder no longer causes a crash.
- Fixed a rare crash on the Spending Trends report that could be caused by rapidly switching reports.
- Renaming a master category while only changing capitalization now works as expected.
- Using the keyboard to move focus from the top cell in a month now always cycles around to the bottom.
- Fixed a rare crash that could occur when getting the 'Income for [month]' category text.
- Scrolling on the Spending Trends summary panel now works correctly for a large number of months.
- Fixed a rare bug that could occur when auto-saving.
- Using the cleared balance when reconciling a credit account with a positive balance now works as expected.
This update adds a 'Use this amount' link to the reconciliation dialog, along with showing the cleared balance in YNAB as of the selected date. We've also added a few new currencies, and fixed several minor bugs.
New - Added Bangladeshi Taka currency option.
- Added Ugandan Shilling currency option.
Better - The trial notification screen is now only shown for college students once they reach 34 days remaining of their license.
- Clicking the 'Cleared' button after editing a transaction no longer begins editing again.
- Added ability to reconcile with the cleared amount YNAB knows about.
- Reconciliation current cleared balance now updates to be the cleared balance as of the selected date.
Fixed - Fixed an internal issue that could have caused other YNAB apps to get their changes overwritten in rare circumstances.
- Rounding on quick budget averages now happens earlier, preventing phantom budgeted amounts some users were seeing.
- Fixed a rare crash that could occur when switching date formats or swapping imports and memos when importing.
- Fixed a rare crash that could occur when hitting ctrl while entering a date into the scheduler.
- Changing the selected flag while making other edits no longer prevents selecting different transactions.
- When jumping to the register view from budgets, the date filter is now applied correctly.
Plenty of people have asked about YNAB developing a Windows Phone app, and our answer has always (unfortunately) been that it's not within our budget. YNAB (the business) is run using a budget kept in YNAB (the software). If you run a business too, you may be interested in how we use YNAB to plan how our expenses work. You can sign up for our (free) YNAB for Business email course here: http://www.youneedabudget.com/business
The latest update (applied automagically by Steam) contains a handful of tweaks and improvements, and some more bug fixes.
Check out our Free Classes, and you can get help and more discussion over at our forums!
Better: - OFX/QFX imports now strip CDATA tags when they have been included by the bank (this means the payee/memo data will import correctly).
- The category is now autofilled if changing payees from the imported payee if no category is filled in yet.
- When showing all transactions for a master category in a spend by category report, if a subcategory is filtered out, it is no longer included in the filter.
- The reports Payee filter now shows disabled payees, but only if there are transactions that use them.
- Improved the matching algorithm for QIF imports to prevent some incorrect matches being made.
- Importing a transfer transaction no longer sets the target transaction to cleared.
- Tweaked Bulgarian Lev currency formatting.
- Prevent rename of the 'Pre-YNAB debt' master category.
- Removed default reconciliation amount.
- Tweaked reconciliation wording and added explanatory text.
- Small speed increase when deleting transactions.
- Speed increase when doing a Fresh Start.
- Improved formatting on Brunei Dollar (BND).
Fixed: - Fixed grammar mistake in the error message that asks to restore a budget.
- Stopped a crash that could occur during the 'Getting Started' walkthrough.
- Fixed a crash bug that could occur when importing transactions into an account with no starting date.
- New Turkish Lira' has been renamed to simply 'Turkish Lira'
- A rare crash when changing the sort in the register.
- A rare crash when searching in the register.
- All Accounts now has the correct start dates set when using the date filter.
- Rare crashes that could occur when using the - or Esc keys in a budget cell.
- Clearing a transaction by mouse now occurs on mousedown, using mouseup was preventing clearing multiple transactions at once.
- Unmatching a transaction while also editing it no longer deletes the imported transaction.
A few more bugfixes incoming! Steam should automatically update you to the latest version.
Check out our Free Classes, and you can get help and comments over at our forums!
Better: - Formatting tweak on the UAE Dirham.
Fixed: - YNAB no longer crashes if you delete both sides of a transfer at once in the All Accounts view.
- On slow internal networks, Wifi sync will no longer prematurely time out.
- Adjusting the account balance of an account with a single transaction with an amount of $0 would cause a crash.
Hey all, just a heads-up that we've rolled out a new release of YNAB. This release is primarily a bug-fix release, to deal with some reported issues. Steam should automatically update you to the latest version.
Don't forget to check out our Free Classes, we've added a couple of new ones this month!
New: Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-C will now clear selected transactions on the register screen even if the focus is in a text field. 'C' still works when the focus is not in a text field.
Better: Added a check and warning for attempts to rename payees to 'Transfer :' on the Payee Settings screen.
Removed 'Restart Later' option when toggling diagnostics, preventing a weird half-diagnostic state.
The 'Move to Account' option on the register transaction edit menu is now disabled if there are no other accounts to move the transaction to.
'Save a version' will now always save a new version, even if there's been no changes since the last save.
The Create Budget button is now disabled until a name is entered, preventing blank budget names.
Using Up and Down arrows on the budget page now cycle from top to bottom and vice versa when reaching the start or end of the rows.
Renamed 'Year to Date' filter to 'This Year', to more accurately represent how it works.
Clearing a transaction by mouse now occurs on mouseup, rather than mousedown.
Deleting transactions to be approved by clicking the reminder icon now shows Undo like normal deletions.
OFX/QFX imports are now better at handling non-standard formatting from certain banks.
Fresh Start now resets all account balances to 0, to make re-entering current balances easier.
Categories can no longer be renamed to be blank or only contain spaces.
The 'Starting Balance' payee is now selectable when filtering reports.
The 'Edit Payees' button at the bottom of the payee selector dropdown now jumps to the currently entered payee on the Payee Settings dialog when clicked.
Using 'c' to clear a transaction now works while editing after changing the transaction date
Fixed: Having a positive Available to Budget combined with using the Indian Rupee would cause the budget columns to be misaligned with the category list.
Fix for Arabic text sometimes causing a crash when viewing reports.
Fixed an error where uncategorised and unaccepted transfers to off-budget accounts could be ignored when calculating the uncategorised row in the budget.
Fixed a grammar mistake in a message preventing you from moving reconciled transactions.
Finishing or canceling reconciliation now correctly applies the existing date filter to the register.
Unmatched transactions now retain their original flag colour.
The All Outflows summary tooltip on the budget screen now includes split transactions.
The automatic, rolling backups could get deleted too frequently, especially if you ran YNAB very frequently. From now on, YNAB will keep backups hourly for a week, daily for a month, and every 15 days from then on.
Fixed a bug that could cause YNAB to stop auto-saving in some circumstances after a Fresh Start. (It would still save on exit, but would not publish changes to other devices or save work every 5 seconds as designed)
Added more space so the date filter is not cut off when printing the account register.
Register keyboard shortcuts are no longer handled if the Preferences or Budget Setup screens are showing
Unmatching a reconciled transaction via the 'Unmatch' button no longer removes the imported transaction.
Removed 'YNAB 3' reference from sample CSV file
Fixed several other rare crash bugs, including: a crash that could happen when trying to restore an invalid backup version, after importing, when changing the default Cloud Sync budget location, when switching budgets while a report was loading, when hitting ESC in a date field, renaming a category that had been hidden on another device, and when using characters instead of numbers in a date field.