The latest update (applied automagically by Steam) contains a handful of tweaks and improvements, and some more bug fixes. Check out our Free Classes, and you can get help and more discussion over at our forums!
Better: - OFX/QFX imports now strip CDATA tags when they have been included by the bank (this means the payee/memo data will import correctly). - The category is now autofilled if changing payees from the imported payee if no category is filled in yet. - When showing all transactions for a master category in a spend by category report, if a subcategory is filtered out, it is no longer included in the filter. - The reports Payee filter now shows disabled payees, but only if there are transactions that use them. - Improved the matching algorithm for QIF imports to prevent some incorrect matches being made. - Importing a transfer transaction no longer sets the target transaction to cleared. - Tweaked Bulgarian Lev currency formatting. - Prevent rename of the 'Pre-YNAB debt' master category. - Removed default reconciliation amount. - Tweaked reconciliation wording and added explanatory text. - Small speed increase when deleting transactions. - Speed increase when doing a Fresh Start. - Improved formatting on Brunei Dollar (BND).
Fixed: - Fixed grammar mistake in the error message that asks to restore a budget. - Stopped a crash that could occur during the 'Getting Started' walkthrough. - Fixed a crash bug that could occur when importing transactions into an account with no starting date. - New Turkish Lira' has been renamed to simply 'Turkish Lira' - A rare crash when changing the sort in the register. - A rare crash when searching in the register. - All Accounts now has the correct start dates set when using the date filter. - Rare crashes that could occur when using the - or Esc keys in a budget cell. - Clearing a transaction by mouse now occurs on mousedown, using mouseup was preventing clearing multiple transactions at once. - Unmatching a transaction while also editing it no longer deletes the imported transaction.
A few more bugfixes incoming! Steam should automatically update you to the latest version. Check out our Free Classes, and you can get help and comments over at our forums!
Better: - Formatting tweak on the UAE Dirham.
Fixed: - YNAB no longer crashes if you delete both sides of a transfer at once in the All Accounts view. - On slow internal networks, Wifi sync will no longer prematurely time out. - Adjusting the account balance of an account with a single transaction with an amount of $0 would cause a crash.
Hey all, just a heads-up that we've rolled out a new release of YNAB. This release is primarily a bug-fix release, to deal with some reported issues. Steam should automatically update you to the latest version. Don't forget to check out our Free Classes, we've added a couple of new ones this month!
New: Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-C will now clear selected transactions on the register screen even if the focus is in a text field. 'C' still works when the focus is not in a text field.
Better: Added a check and warning for attempts to rename payees to 'Transfer :' on the Payee Settings screen. Removed 'Restart Later' option when toggling diagnostics, preventing a weird half-diagnostic state. The 'Move to Account' option on the register transaction edit menu is now disabled if there are no other accounts to move the transaction to. 'Save a version' will now always save a new version, even if there's been no changes since the last save. The Create Budget button is now disabled until a name is entered, preventing blank budget names. Using Up and Down arrows on the budget page now cycle from top to bottom and vice versa when reaching the start or end of the rows. Renamed 'Year to Date' filter to 'This Year', to more accurately represent how it works. Clearing a transaction by mouse now occurs on mouseup, rather than mousedown. Deleting transactions to be approved by clicking the reminder icon now shows Undo like normal deletions. OFX/QFX imports are now better at handling non-standard formatting from certain banks. Fresh Start now resets all account balances to 0, to make re-entering current balances easier. Categories can no longer be renamed to be blank or only contain spaces. The 'Starting Balance' payee is now selectable when filtering reports. The 'Edit Payees' button at the bottom of the payee selector dropdown now jumps to the currently entered payee on the Payee Settings dialog when clicked. Using 'c' to clear a transaction now works while editing after changing the transaction date
Fixed: Having a positive Available to Budget combined with using the Indian Rupee would cause the budget columns to be misaligned with the category list. Fix for Arabic text sometimes causing a crash when viewing reports. Fixed an error where uncategorised and unaccepted transfers to off-budget accounts could be ignored when calculating the uncategorised row in the budget. Fixed a grammar mistake in a message preventing you from moving reconciled transactions. Finishing or canceling reconciliation now correctly applies the existing date filter to the register. Unmatched transactions now retain their original flag colour. The All Outflows summary tooltip on the budget screen now includes split transactions. The automatic, rolling backups could get deleted too frequently, especially if you ran YNAB very frequently. From now on, YNAB will keep backups hourly for a week, daily for a month, and every 15 days from then on. Fixed a bug that could cause YNAB to stop auto-saving in some circumstances after a Fresh Start. (It would still save on exit, but would not publish changes to other devices or save work every 5 seconds as designed) Added more space so the date filter is not cut off when printing the account register. Register keyboard shortcuts are no longer handled if the Preferences or Budget Setup screens are showing Unmatching a reconciled transaction via the 'Unmatch' button no longer removes the imported transaction. Removed 'YNAB 3' reference from sample CSV file Fixed several other rare crash bugs, including: a crash that could happen when trying to restore an invalid backup version, after importing, when changing the default Cloud Sync budget location, when switching budgets while a report was loading, when hitting ESC in a date field, renaming a category that had been hidden on another device, and when using characters instead of numbers in a date field.
We've updated the new-user walkthroughs and added some additional currencies. We've also fixed a lot of bugs and made a number of improvements.
Full list of changes:
- Full Screen mode is now supported on Macs (for OS X Lion and above) On Mac Retina displays, text is now displayed in beautiful high resolution. - Added Credit Card Payments Tutorial. - Added Credit Card Basics Tutorial. - Added Getting Started Tutorial. - New Walkthrough/Tutorials design. The walkthroughs can now be launched on demand from the Help Menu. - Added an option to skip an account when importing from multiple accounts in the one file. You can choose this from the account list dropdown. - Hitting Enter now starts editing the selected transaction (F2 also begins editing). - Added Income for given month search item (e.g. "Income: April 2013" in the register search bar) CSV imports now detect duplicates and match with other imported transactions. - Added Sri Lankan Rupee Currency - On the Mac, the app icon now supports retina displays. - The icon used for YNAB documents is now different from the application icon. - Added Ghanaian Cedi currency - Added Nigerian Naira currency - Added Haitian Gourde currency - Added Mauritius Rupee currency - Added CFP Franc currency - Added Netherlands Antilles Guilder currency
- Removed some mentions of the word 'YNAB' in some of the main menu items. - Payees added by the bank are removed if they aren't being used anymore. - This will keep the payee list cleaner. - On Macs, if an update is available or is being downloaded, the update window will be shown if you click on the YNAB icon in the dock. - Previously it would remain hidden behind the main YNAB Window You now have to specifically choose which account type to use when creating a account. This prevents issues down the line when working with credit cards. - Improved the way certain rare file errors are handled. - Creating an adjustment transaction to a debt account will now create a pre-ynab debt category if necessary. - Entering a starting balance transaction of 0 will still create a pre-ynab debt category for debt accounts. That way, if you later change the amount of the transaction manually, it's still categorized correctly. - If a budget in Dropbox can't be loaded, a button is displayed that links to a support article explaining how to fix the error. - Clicking on the empty search box expands it so you have more room to enter your search. - Long payee and category name now truncate and show the full name on mouse-over when viewing the transaction list on the reports. - Viewing income transactions from the budget screen now shows all relevant income transactions on the account view. - Adding space before Ft in Hungarian Florint Crash reports can now be sent even if YNAB is not running in diagnostics mode. - Changed Russian Ruble ISO code to RUB - Filtering by date now disables the reconciled transaction filter, this means you will always see all transactions that meet the date filter and search criteria
- On a Mac, the application could crash if there was a secondary window open when the app restarted itself. - Switching budgets will no longer cause the register to forget its column widths. - The All Accounts view will no longer show the old categories for accounts that were on budget and then made off budget. - Fixed a bug that could cause the loading screen to be shown forever if an error happened the first time it was attempting to create the budget. - Fixed a bug that could cause YNAB to create an empty budget folder for a budget that was previously opened if the YNAB folder was moved out from under it. - Transfer payees to deleted accounts are now deleted on startup. These could cause a crash when attempting a rename or combine to remove them from the payee settings screen We no longer allow WiFi sync if you don't have any accounts in your budget, preventing a rare crash. - Saved report settings now recalculate the date range correctly when reopening YNAB. - Clicking away from an empty search box no longer clears the date filter. - Changes to income amounts now force a refresh in the Net Worth report. - The Register now correctly remembers the column widths for accounts. - When switching between higher and lower screen sizes, the widths of the columns are proportionally adjusted to maintain the size ratios between columns. - On-budget transfers now force a refresh in the Net Worth report. - Changing the account while editing a transaction on the All Accounts view now updates the payee dropdown options correctly. - Viewing all transactions in the account view from a report now sets the date filter correctly Deleting transactions no longer resets the register sort. - Approving transactions no longer resets the register sort. - The approve selected transactions popup no longer cuts off the word 'transactions' when a large number of transactions are selected The selected transaction header checkbox now has the correct value no matter how the selection changes. - Clearing a matched transaction now removes the imported payee if it is not used anywhere else. - On the Mac, paths with spaces weren't browsed correctly. It would just drop you in the Documents folder instead Clicking on the error icon while editing a categorised transaction now allows you to remove the budget category as expected. - Leaving the trial version of YNAB open for several days no longer prevents you continuing the trial without having to restart YNAB. - The transaction list shown by clicking on the Total row in the Spend By Category report now filters out portions of split transactions that aren't included in the total. - The Import button now works again after an import fails because there are no transactions or accounts to import.
This latest version is primarily for bug fixes. We have also (re)added a keyboard shortcut for approving selected transactions.
Full list of changes:
- Ctrl/Cmd-K is the new "Approve Selected Transactions" shortcut key.
- YNAB No longer prevents shutdown on Macs. - Only the relevant portions of split transactions are shown when viewing the transaction list in the Spending by Category report. - Inflow transactions that are categorized as a normal category (as opposed to Income) will now correctly be counted against the spending of that category on the Spending Trends report. - Split transactions with a positive (inflow) total no longer ignore their sub-transactions on the Spending Trends report. - When matching two imported transctions, YNAB now tries to organize things behind the scenes so that the transaction won't get re-imported from your bank again. - Selecting "All Dates" on reports now correctly starts with the first month that you have data, rather than January of the first year you have data. - Extra transactions could be visible in the transaction popup on reports when multiple sub-categories had the same name (but different master categories). - Fixed a rare error that could occur when moving a transfer to or from an off-budget account. - The right Alt key on some Polish keyboards in Windows no longer triggers CTRL shortcuts in the register. (Most notably, typing Alt-N will no longer create a new transaction) Fixed a rare error that could happen after adding a new transaction, scrolling, and resizing the window. - Fixed a crash that could occur when jumping to a transaction list containing matched transactions from the Payee Settings screen. - Fixed a rare error that could occur when checking for updates. - The total row is now always at the end of the list. Under rare circumstances, it could get placed elsewhere, which would cause an error when clicked. - Fixed a rare error that could occur when viewing the running balance of a certain transaction. - Some computers can't display HTML pages within YNAB, and YNAB will now simply offer a link to the content that can't be displayed, rather than displaying an error. - Fixed a very rare error that could prevent YNAB from running on Windows.
The Spending Trends report is back! It allows you to see how your spending has been progressing over time. Click on the graph segments to drill down for more information. Also included in this release are plenty of improvements and many bug fixes.
Full list of changes:
- Added the Spending Trends report. - Report settings are now saved between runs. - Added the ability to click on report segments to show included transactions after drilling down in pie charts. - Added the ability to click on report segments to show included transactions after drilling down in the Spending Trends report. - Added Ctrl/Cmd+E keyboard shortcut for exporting. - Enabled OFX/QFX/QIF file associations for Steam.
- Changed the Reports shortcut to Ctrl/Cmd+R. - Changed the Account View shortcut to Ctrl/Cmd+T. - Clicking back into the inflow/outflow/budget field now cancels the calculator. - Category names in QIF exports now match the QIF spec. - Unmatching a transaction now leaves both new transactions selected. - Backspace and Cmd+Backspace now delete the selected transactions on Mac. - Date filter settings are now per-report, instead of being shared. - When setting a date filter on the register or in reports, if the end date is earlier than the start date, the two are swapped. - Delete key now works to delete scheduled transactions. - When jumping to the register after clicking "Payee used in X transactions" on the Payee Settings screen, the scheduler will expand if there are any scheduled transactions included. - Changed wording on Income transaction list on the Budget screen to "Show in Account View". - Added disabled icon on "Show in Account View" button. - Adding a new transaction to the register now scrolls to show the added transaction. - Added a space to the Swiss Franc (now it displays like "CHF 1'234.00") Searching for payees and categories will now return any direct matches if they exist, rather than returning everything that contains the search term. - You can no longer drop a category into a different Master category that already has a category with the same name. - Framerate improved when mousing over YNAB while it is in the background. - Moving accounts in the sidebar is now smoother. - The "Show in Account View" button is now disabled if there are no transactions in the pop-up. - Reconciling a transaction automatically accepts the transaction. - The account column is now visible when printing from the All Accounts tab. - Changing the account type when adding a new account now auto-selects the recommended on/off budget type. - You can now clear transactions by hitting 'c' while editing (but not when a text field has focus).
- Fixed date selector drop down arrows being stretched. - Fixed a bug where some transfer payees weren't being treated like transfers. - Clearing a transaction in an account now updates the All Accounts view correctly. - Clicking 'Done' on the date selector no longer clears the selection if nothing has been changed. - Fixed some settings being reset when upgrading. - Fixed "Invalid date" message from being cut off at the bottom of the screen when a bad date was entered in the scheduler. - Jumping to a transaction from the budget screen once again clears filters if they would hide that transaction. - Spending and Income v. Expense reports now include uncategorized transactions when something other than "All Categories" is selected. - Deselecting "Uncategorized Transactions" in the report filters no longer deselects unrelated subcategories. - The "c" key now clears just-added transactions on Mac. - Fixed CSV exports so Excel no longer shows strange characters when exporting currency symbols other than $ (Excel 2003 and earlier still show this bug). - YNAB now shows the correct tooltip on a split transfer field. - Fixed the invalid date message showing up after the editor has closed. - Fixed the calculator not showing up correctly in the budget screen. - Fixed a crash in the Credit Card walkthrough when there were no uncategorized transactions. - Fixed a crash caused by trying to print when there are no accounts. - Fixed not being able to change an existing account's type to 'Checking' - Fixed the All Accounts tab sometimes showing no transactions. - New transactions are now being sorted correctly when added. - Deleting multiple transactions from an account no longer causes a crash. - Fixed a crash when My Documents folder is not available. - Filtering by account in reports no longer causes a crash when viewing the transactions in the register. - Selecting an existing category when editing a transaction to be approved no longer shows the Add New Master Category popup. - When selector popups are shown twice, no longer fade in and out quickly. - Correctly select report filter options. - Right border of the error column was not showing in certain circumstances. Now it is. - Notes now show up on the budget screen again without having to mouseover them first. - Fixed a crash caused by hitting '+' on a transaction that is not a split. - Fixed a crash caused by trying to get the 1st account when no accounts have been created yet. - Fixed the register footer height after finishing reconciling. - Trying to print before YNAB has finished loading no longer causes a crash. - Fixed a crash caused by trying to import 'Stock' accounts (which YNAB does not support). - The import window can now be reopened if it was cancelled or if there was an error importing. - Hitting 'Enter' with the budget cell QuickBudget cell showing no longer causes a crash. - Fixed Master Category budget amount alignment. - Several other bug fixes.
Praised across the Internet as hands-down the "best budgeting software", You Need A Budget (YNAB) cuts to the chase with your finances. The software focuses you on the foundation of your finances: the Budget. Experience has shown that when your budget is intact, and functioning correctly, everything else takes care of itself (the bills are paid on time, retirement contributions are made, and unnecessary debt is eliminated).