We've updated the new-user walkthroughs and added some additional currencies. We've also fixed a lot of bugs and made a number of improvements.
Full list of changes:
- Full Screen mode is now supported on Macs (for OS X Lion and above) On Mac Retina displays, text is now displayed in beautiful high resolution. - Added Credit Card Payments Tutorial. - Added Credit Card Basics Tutorial. - Added Getting Started Tutorial. - New Walkthrough/Tutorials design. The walkthroughs can now be launched on demand from the Help Menu. - Added an option to skip an account when importing from multiple accounts in the one file. You can choose this from the account list dropdown. - Hitting Enter now starts editing the selected transaction (F2 also begins editing). - Added Income for given month search item (e.g. "Income: April 2013" in the register search bar) CSV imports now detect duplicates and match with other imported transactions. - Added Sri Lankan Rupee Currency - On the Mac, the app icon now supports retina displays. - The icon used for YNAB documents is now different from the application icon. - Added Ghanaian Cedi currency - Added Nigerian Naira currency - Added Haitian Gourde currency - Added Mauritius Rupee currency - Added CFP Franc currency - Added Netherlands Antilles Guilder currency
- Removed some mentions of the word 'YNAB' in some of the main menu items. - Payees added by the bank are removed if they aren't being used anymore. - This will keep the payee list cleaner. - On Macs, if an update is available or is being downloaded, the update window will be shown if you click on the YNAB icon in the dock. - Previously it would remain hidden behind the main YNAB Window You now have to specifically choose which account type to use when creating a account. This prevents issues down the line when working with credit cards. - Improved the way certain rare file errors are handled. - Creating an adjustment transaction to a debt account will now create a pre-ynab debt category if necessary. - Entering a starting balance transaction of 0 will still create a pre-ynab debt category for debt accounts. That way, if you later change the amount of the transaction manually, it's still categorized correctly. - If a budget in Dropbox can't be loaded, a button is displayed that links to a support article explaining how to fix the error. - Clicking on the empty search box expands it so you have more room to enter your search. - Long payee and category name now truncate and show the full name on mouse-over when viewing the transaction list on the reports. - Viewing income transactions from the budget screen now shows all relevant income transactions on the account view. - Adding space before Ft in Hungarian Florint Crash reports can now be sent even if YNAB is not running in diagnostics mode. - Changed Russian Ruble ISO code to RUB - Filtering by date now disables the reconciled transaction filter, this means you will always see all transactions that meet the date filter and search criteria
- On a Mac, the application could crash if there was a secondary window open when the app restarted itself. - Switching budgets will no longer cause the register to forget its column widths. - The All Accounts view will no longer show the old categories for accounts that were on budget and then made off budget. - Fixed a bug that could cause the loading screen to be shown forever if an error happened the first time it was attempting to create the budget. - Fixed a bug that could cause YNAB to create an empty budget folder for a budget that was previously opened if the YNAB folder was moved out from under it. - Transfer payees to deleted accounts are now deleted on startup. These could cause a crash when attempting a rename or combine to remove them from the payee settings screen We no longer allow WiFi sync if you don't have any accounts in your budget, preventing a rare crash. - Saved report settings now recalculate the date range correctly when reopening YNAB. - Clicking away from an empty search box no longer clears the date filter. - Changes to income amounts now force a refresh in the Net Worth report. - The Register now correctly remembers the column widths for accounts. - When switching between higher and lower screen sizes, the widths of the columns are proportionally adjusted to maintain the size ratios between columns. - On-budget transfers now force a refresh in the Net Worth report. - Changing the account while editing a transaction on the All Accounts view now updates the payee dropdown options correctly. - Viewing all transactions in the account view from a report now sets the date filter correctly Deleting transactions no longer resets the register sort. - Approving transactions no longer resets the register sort. - The approve selected transactions popup no longer cuts off the word 'transactions' when a large number of transactions are selected The selected transaction header checkbox now has the correct value no matter how the selection changes. - Clearing a matched transaction now removes the imported payee if it is not used anywhere else. - On the Mac, paths with spaces weren't browsed correctly. It would just drop you in the Documents folder instead Clicking on the error icon while editing a categorised transaction now allows you to remove the budget category as expected. - Leaving the trial version of YNAB open for several days no longer prevents you continuing the trial without having to restart YNAB. - The transaction list shown by clicking on the Total row in the Spend By Category report now filters out portions of split transactions that aren't included in the total. - The Import button now works again after an import fails because there are no transactions or accounts to import.
This latest version is primarily for bug fixes. We have also (re)added a keyboard shortcut for approving selected transactions.
Full list of changes:
- Ctrl/Cmd-K is the new "Approve Selected Transactions" shortcut key.
- YNAB No longer prevents shutdown on Macs. - Only the relevant portions of split transactions are shown when viewing the transaction list in the Spending by Category report. - Inflow transactions that are categorized as a normal category (as opposed to Income) will now correctly be counted against the spending of that category on the Spending Trends report. - Split transactions with a positive (inflow) total no longer ignore their sub-transactions on the Spending Trends report. - When matching two imported transctions, YNAB now tries to organize things behind the scenes so that the transaction won't get re-imported from your bank again. - Selecting "All Dates" on reports now correctly starts with the first month that you have data, rather than January of the first year you have data. - Extra transactions could be visible in the transaction popup on reports when multiple sub-categories had the same name (but different master categories). - Fixed a rare error that could occur when moving a transfer to or from an off-budget account. - The right Alt key on some Polish keyboards in Windows no longer triggers CTRL shortcuts in the register. (Most notably, typing Alt-N will no longer create a new transaction) Fixed a rare error that could happen after adding a new transaction, scrolling, and resizing the window. - Fixed a crash that could occur when jumping to a transaction list containing matched transactions from the Payee Settings screen. - Fixed a rare error that could occur when checking for updates. - The total row is now always at the end of the list. Under rare circumstances, it could get placed elsewhere, which would cause an error when clicked. - Fixed a rare error that could occur when viewing the running balance of a certain transaction. - Some computers can't display HTML pages within YNAB, and YNAB will now simply offer a link to the content that can't be displayed, rather than displaying an error. - Fixed a very rare error that could prevent YNAB from running on Windows.
The Spending Trends report is back! It allows you to see how your spending has been progressing over time. Click on the graph segments to drill down for more information. Also included in this release are plenty of improvements and many bug fixes.
Full list of changes:
- Added the Spending Trends report. - Report settings are now saved between runs. - Added the ability to click on report segments to show included transactions after drilling down in pie charts. - Added the ability to click on report segments to show included transactions after drilling down in the Spending Trends report. - Added Ctrl/Cmd+E keyboard shortcut for exporting. - Enabled OFX/QFX/QIF file associations for Steam.
- Changed the Reports shortcut to Ctrl/Cmd+R. - Changed the Account View shortcut to Ctrl/Cmd+T. - Clicking back into the inflow/outflow/budget field now cancels the calculator. - Category names in QIF exports now match the QIF spec. - Unmatching a transaction now leaves both new transactions selected. - Backspace and Cmd+Backspace now delete the selected transactions on Mac. - Date filter settings are now per-report, instead of being shared. - When setting a date filter on the register or in reports, if the end date is earlier than the start date, the two are swapped. - Delete key now works to delete scheduled transactions. - When jumping to the register after clicking "Payee used in X transactions" on the Payee Settings screen, the scheduler will expand if there are any scheduled transactions included. - Changed wording on Income transaction list on the Budget screen to "Show in Account View". - Added disabled icon on "Show in Account View" button. - Adding a new transaction to the register now scrolls to show the added transaction. - Added a space to the Swiss Franc (now it displays like "CHF 1'234.00") Searching for payees and categories will now return any direct matches if they exist, rather than returning everything that contains the search term. - You can no longer drop a category into a different Master category that already has a category with the same name. - Framerate improved when mousing over YNAB while it is in the background. - Moving accounts in the sidebar is now smoother. - The "Show in Account View" button is now disabled if there are no transactions in the pop-up. - Reconciling a transaction automatically accepts the transaction. - The account column is now visible when printing from the All Accounts tab. - Changing the account type when adding a new account now auto-selects the recommended on/off budget type. - You can now clear transactions by hitting 'c' while editing (but not when a text field has focus).
- Fixed date selector drop down arrows being stretched. - Fixed a bug where some transfer payees weren't being treated like transfers. - Clearing a transaction in an account now updates the All Accounts view correctly. - Clicking 'Done' on the date selector no longer clears the selection if nothing has been changed. - Fixed some settings being reset when upgrading. - Fixed "Invalid date" message from being cut off at the bottom of the screen when a bad date was entered in the scheduler. - Jumping to a transaction from the budget screen once again clears filters if they would hide that transaction. - Spending and Income v. Expense reports now include uncategorized transactions when something other than "All Categories" is selected. - Deselecting "Uncategorized Transactions" in the report filters no longer deselects unrelated subcategories. - The "c" key now clears just-added transactions on Mac. - Fixed CSV exports so Excel no longer shows strange characters when exporting currency symbols other than $ (Excel 2003 and earlier still show this bug). - YNAB now shows the correct tooltip on a split transfer field. - Fixed the invalid date message showing up after the editor has closed. - Fixed the calculator not showing up correctly in the budget screen. - Fixed a crash in the Credit Card walkthrough when there were no uncategorized transactions. - Fixed a crash caused by trying to print when there are no accounts. - Fixed not being able to change an existing account's type to 'Checking' - Fixed the All Accounts tab sometimes showing no transactions. - New transactions are now being sorted correctly when added. - Deleting multiple transactions from an account no longer causes a crash. - Fixed a crash when My Documents folder is not available. - Filtering by account in reports no longer causes a crash when viewing the transactions in the register. - Selecting an existing category when editing a transaction to be approved no longer shows the Add New Master Category popup. - When selector popups are shown twice, no longer fade in and out quickly. - Correctly select report filter options. - Right border of the error column was not showing in certain circumstances. Now it is. - Notes now show up on the budget screen again without having to mouseover them first. - Fixed a crash caused by hitting '+' on a transaction that is not a split. - Fixed a crash caused by trying to get the 1st account when no accounts have been created yet. - Fixed the register footer height after finishing reconciling. - Trying to print before YNAB has finished loading no longer causes a crash. - Fixed a crash caused by trying to import 'Stock' accounts (which YNAB does not support). - The import window can now be reopened if it was cancelled or if there was an error importing. - Hitting 'Enter' with the budget cell QuickBudget cell showing no longer causes a crash. - Fixed Master Category budget amount alignment. - Several other bug fixes.
Praised across the Internet as hands-down the "best budgeting software", You Need A Budget (YNAB) cuts to the chase with your finances. The software focuses you on the foundation of your finances: the Budget. Experience has shown that when your budget is intact, and functioning correctly, everything else takes care of itself (the bills are paid on time, retirement contributions are made, and unnecessary debt is eliminated).