9 June 2009 Tripwire are happy to announce the release of Darkest Hour
, the latest full mod for Red Orchestra
, over Steam. To celebrate this release, Red Orchestra is 66% off until Monday, June 15th.
Darkest Hour is free to all those who own Red Orchestra and can be simply downloaded and installed through Steam. Darkest Hour finally brings the Americans to Red Orchestra, focusing on the beaches of Normandy, Operation Market-Garden, the Battle of the Bulge and on into the Reich. A trailer is available on the Steam web page, along with screen shots and more information. Now you can play as American, British or Canadian troops, with a huge range of additional features:
- More than 20 new infantry weapons, such as the ever-distinctive Garand, M1 Carbine, .30-cal, Bren, FG42, Thomson and the Enfield rifles
- American Bazooka, British PIAT and German Panzerschreck to go tank-hunting with
- New infantry features, including Airborne drops onto the battlefield, bullet suppression and supersonic cracks, plus a new radioman class for calling in artillery strikes
- Over a dozen new crewable vehicles including the King Tiger and JagdPanther for the Germans, countered with multiple types of Sherman in 75mm, 76mm and 17-pounder versions, plus the Cromwell, M10 Wolverine and Achilles
- 11 new maps, including:
- Juno Beach Canadians storming the beaches in classic D-Day action
- Carentan the US 101st Airborne assaults the town shortly after D-Day
- Brecourt 101st Airborne attempt to put a key German artillery battery out of commission behind the beaches
- Ginkel Heath British paras drop into a hotly-contested LZ at the start of Operation Market-Garden
- Wacht-am-Rhein sweeping tank combat during the Battle of the Bulge, including the fearsome King Tiger
- Stoumont American infantry and armor try and hold back the SS PanzerGrenadiers in the streets of the Ardennes town
So whether it is the Normandy campaign, jumping onto the dropzones around Arnhem or the bitter fighting in the Battle of the Bulge, new and old players alike will get a chance to see why RO remains a classic. Now with the opportunity to re-play those battles RO-style, courtesy of Darkest Hour: Europe 1944-45! For more information on the mod (and to see the trailer) head to the Steam page.