I bought this game for 1€ long time ago and tried to play it, I was really expecting some cyberpunk Deus Ex game and was greatly dissapointed with what I got.
The game is EXTREMELY NOT beginner friendly and very unforgiving, nothing is explained, or at least explained enough and you are just thrown inside with no idea of what you are doing.
I ended up uninstalling it but somehow I knew I was missing out on something, I still did not know if it was something good or not, but I definetly knew the game had a lot of depth I had not figured out yet.
Anyway I reinstalled it, read around in the wiki, the steamhub, and gave it a real try.
Once I have really seen how it is, I can really say that Deus Ex is not the game you should be comparing this game to, but STALKER
You are thrown into a very dangerous and abandoned world, with a few armed NPCs you can talk to, some factions fighting among themselves and a lot of side missions.
*** Negative points:
- There are no civilians or innocents bystanders whatsoever in any of the maps, not even in the missions that are supposed to be happening in the city (which was a big letdown if you are expecting a deus ex game).
- Enemies keep spawning after you clear an area, sometimes you can even see them respawn.
- The User Interface is extremely unfriendly, it really takes a while to understand how it works, specially the hacking mini game, which is quite fun once you understand how it works (which takes a while because the tutorial sucks big time).
- The game engine used is source which feels quite outdated today.
- No manual saving.
*** Positive points:
- Characters are extremely interesting, even if they are not voiced acted at all (again, STALKERish).
- You really feel the depth of the story and how enigmatic everything is and curiosity just makes you want to keep on playing just for the sake of the lore and the story. With out any doubt this is its STRONGEST POINT. I mean just look at the images, don't you want to know more about this world?
- Headshots are extremely satisfactory.
- Different endings, one of them is a secret one which can only be unlocked when you have reached all the differente endings which require a new playthrough each time (because you can't save). You won't understand any of them, as there's a lot of mysticism, allegories, philosophy and surrealism around them, but it is interesting to see the different theories people come up with in the steamhub.
- New Game+ : you can (and should if you want to see the endings) play the game endlessly with all the augmentations/skills/weapons you have unlocked so far. Actually the player repeating the campaign is part of the campaign itself as you are supposed to be stucked in some cycle repeating itself that in theory only finishes with the secret ending mentioned before. Something like Groundhound day.
Play this game if you liked STALKER, really make the effort of investing enough time to understand the mechanics because I guarantee you that it is worth it.
I really think this game could have been MUCH better if it had been done slightly different, and I really hope a sequel is done sometime in the future which takes care of all these shortcomings.